macOS Sonoma - Moho 14 crashes on launch 100% of the time

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

arglborps

macOS Sonoma - Moho 14 crashes on launch 100% of the time

Post by arglborps »

macOS Sonoma is out and Moho 14 crashes 100% on launch…

As much as I love you guys for making Moho, I just can't for the life of me understand how it never seems to cross the minds of some software developers with all the developer previews and public betas long ahead of the launch to actually make sure that their app at least runs on the latest OS.

If tiny developers like Rogue Amoeba and Flying Meat can get their software ready for the new OS **before** its out, why can't Lost Marble?

(and I know people say: don't run the latest and greatest on production machines, but every other software that I'm using has ZERO problems. Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher, FCP, Acorn, Notion, Pixelmator Pro, Discord, etc. all work just fine)
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

arglborps

Re: macOS Sonoma - Moho 14 crashes on launch 100% of the time

Post by arglborps »

Moho 13.5 seems to run fine, though. Go figure.
Kilian Muster

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Either don't use a point-aught release for production, don't be so eager to upgrade to a brand new OS (both of which are well-known to have teething problems out of the gate), use 13.5, or find another animation software that can handle all the latest.

There's "tiny developers" and then there's "lone developers." And lone developers have to focus on the OSes that have the highest market share. And I'm sure LM was eager to get v14 out, as this is their first opportunity to make money after buying Moho back. Let these guys earn a living before demanding the world.
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

I just paid 100 bucks for the upgrade and expecting it to run on an OS that was known to be out around this time for quite a while ago is definitely not "demanding the world".
Kilian Muster

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

You do know that LM is a single developer and new OSes and software often have instability/incompatibility issues, right?

So you've upgraded software and OS at the same time, and you expect it to work without hitch?
If it's that important to you, why not do something constructive, open a support ticket, and offer to help test v14 on the new OS?
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

>So you've upgraded software and OS at the same time, and you expect it to work without hitch?

Yep. As it happens with Flying Meat and Rogue Amoeba, who are also one or maybe two guys developing the software. So if you develop software for a living, that level of professionalism should be par for the course.

As a developer you know when the new versions of OSes come out. You get early developer previews exactly for the purpose to test your software and make sure it runs well on that OS. And as I said before, equally small developers release their bug fixes and updates to support the latest OS often BEFORE the release of the new OS, because they had the dev previews and prepared for it accordingly.

It also baffles me even more that the really big software houses actually never seem to get their sh*t together and always fix bugs weeks or months after a new OS gets released. That's even worse. They should have the manpower, money and resources to figure that out in time, yet they don't give a toss (yes I'm looking at you Adobe).

And BTW I have created a support ticket and I even may have found the culprit for the crash, so it's not like I'm only bitching I'm also trying to figure out what causes the crash.
Kilian Muster

SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I would actually put this down to timing. Moho 14 was / is a huge undertaking with the new features & graphics engine, and I assume that getting that right for 99.99% of people - soaked up lots of dev time.

You will of course also note from your conversations on Discord that there are a number of other users on Sonoma that are running Moho 14 without this issue, and you have additionally pointed towards a possible work-around related to this.

I am sure that LM will address these uncaught issues with due haste - now that the beast is out the gate.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Kilian, thanks for the information about the new Mac OS update. I recently upgraded Moho, and I use a Mac, so I quickly disabled my computer's "automatic update" option. Whew.

Somebody please post when Moho 14 works with OS 14.

Hey, they're both version 14. Nifty. 8)

Hey, maybe that's the problem. Maybe the computer is getting the 14s mixed up.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

arglborps wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:13 pm >So you've upgraded software and OS at the same time, and you expect it to work without hitch?

Yep. As it happens with Flying Meat and Rogue Amoeba, who are also one or maybe two guys developing the software. So if you develop software for a living, that level of professionalism should be par for the course.
Since you've mentioned those two developers, twice now, I decided to look them up. Did you know that they ONLY develop software for MacOS? IOW, they spend zero time developing for Windows. And compared to animation software, image/audio editing is very simple. Do you think that's a fair comparison? Yes, if LM were ONLY developing for Mac, maybe they could do the same. Don't you think developing for more than one OS (and much more complex software) might make a difference on what a developer has time to do?

Do you have any examples of one/two-developer teams developing for Mac AND Windows that run flawlessly on the latest Mac OS on a point-aught release? And not just image/audio editing software?
And BTW I have created a support ticket and I even may have found the culprit for the crash, so it's not like I'm only bitching I'm also trying to figure out what causes the crash.
Good job being proactive. Many compatibility issues are not known until software is released to the general public, where more people are using different OS/hardware environments than a relatively small beta testing team.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Does it crash when launching Moho 14 by opening projects that contain an audio-layer by any chance?