Camera not working correctly

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kgeetvcartoons

Camera not working correctly

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

I don't know if it's me or is everyone facing camera issues with this newest release. I can't zoom past a certain point which is almost a medium shot and moving it left and right is almost impossible. It's jumps when you try.
Also there is something seriously wrong with "project settings" when you try to adjust the depth of field for your characters. An update needs to address this if it isn't a "me" problem...Any suggestions?
synthsin75

Re: Camera not working correctly

Post by synthsin75 »

Just a guess without seeing the file. Maybe your layers are set really far back on the z-axis?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

kgeetvcartoons wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:39 am Also there is something seriously wrong with "project settings" when you try to adjust the depth of field for your characters. An update needs to address this if it isn't a "me" problem...Any suggestions?
I was playing with the camera and DOF settings in Moho 14 today, and both seemed to be working fine...

viewtopic.php?p=213969#p213969

The only issue I noticed was that the layers within the focal range would get blurry when they weren't selected, but switching off GPU Cache in the Display options fixes it. Regardless, this error affects only the display quality, not the final render quality. (This is also true for 13.5.5 with the equivalent settings.)
kgeetvcartoons

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:48 am Just a guess without seeing the file. Maybe your layers are set really far back on the z-axis?
No problems with the z-axis. Now when I use the camera and I try to do a close up or far away shot the background and the character gets smaller or bigger. There is no separation between between character and the background like the camera from 13.5 moho.
kgeetvcartoons

Post by kgeetvcartoons »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:28 am
kgeetvcartoons wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:39 am Also there is something seriously wrong with "project settings" when you try to adjust the depth of field for your characters. An update needs to address this if it isn't a "me" problem...Any suggestions?
I was playing with the camera and DOF settings in Moho 14 today, and both seemed to be working fine...

viewtopic.php?p=213969#p213969

The only issue I noticed was that the layers within the focal range would get blurry when they weren't selected, but switching off GPU Cache in the Display options fixes it. Regardless, this error affects only the display quality, not the final render quality. (This is also true for 13.5.5 with the equivalent settings.)
Today DOF works fine. I'm still having issues with the camera though. Maybe I need to play with it a bit but it's not working like it did in 13.5. I notice when I do a far away shot or "full body shot" the background shrinks along with the character on the same scale.
I know that there is some shrinkage with the background layer regardless but my character sits far enough in front of the background for this not to happen. I wonder if it's me or the software. Still figuring everything out. A restart on my computer seems to have gotten me closer to everything being fixed accept for the camera issue.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Are you animating zoom settings or physically moving the camera toward and away from the subject? These two do very different things.

With zoom, you're essentially 'scaling' the image relative to the camera. There will be no parallax effect, so the character and background will appear to scale together even when they're located at different depths. Nothing is actually getting closer to the camera, so all the layers appear to scale as a single layer. For example...

As you move the camera closer, you should see the effect of the foreground character getting bigger, with the midground getting bigger but less so, and the distant background scaling the least. Nothing is actually scaling, of course, but the distance of each layer will affect how much 'scaling' you will see as you move the camera.

I'm using the same exact setup in both versions, with the layers arranged like so...

...and the only difference is how I'm animating the camera.

Here are the files if you care to examine them: CameraDemoFiles.zip

Moho respects the behavior of real-world cameras, and from what I can tell, Moho 14's camera is working the same as it did in Moho 13.5.5. (I think there are some improvements with the camera in 14, but I'm not 100% sure about that.)

If the above doesn't help, I think we need more information about your setup and how you expect it to behave. Also, which version of Moho are you using, which OS, and are you using a mouse or pen?

By the way, when you combine the two but push them against each other, things can get really weird, like the background moving farther away as you get closer to it. Sometimes, you see this effect in horror or suspense movies. :D