Moho 14

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Karl Toon

Moho 14

Post by Karl Toon »

So, it's been out a while now, well a few weeks anyhow, and personally I haven't really had time to get any animating done, so I am just wondering what others opinions of it are. I like the look of all the updates and new features, especially the new graphics engine. Another feature I really like is the masking within a mask, which looks much better in the workspace now. Other features yet to look at.
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
Greenlaw

Re: Moho 14

Post by Greenlaw »

I like it!

I wish I had Moho 14 at the beginning of the year to use on the show I was working on. I had to create Michel Gangne-style smoke, water, and fire effects, and Moho 14's Liquid Shapes and improved Freehand tool and FBF system could have saved me hours of work. I wound up combining Moho 12.5 and Adobe Animate for these effects. The results looked great, but Moho 14 could have made my life easier back then. :D

Other cool features...
  • Curver is a real spline deformer, and it replaces the old Follow Path workaround.
  • The new graphics engine is faster and more accurate now. You may see faceting in some masking situations, but this doesn't affect final render quality, and it's still way better than what we had in 13.5.5 and earlier.
  • Lots of UI tweaks and improvements.
Until recently, I've only been using Moho 14 for proof-of-concept projects and tests, but I'm using it build some production-ready character rigs now. So far, everything is working great! These are personal projects, and I may post them in these forums at some point. TBD.

There are a few known bugs in 14, but no real show-stoppers. I'm sure Lost Marble is working hard on Moho 14.1 right now.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: Liquid graphics, this new feature is worthy of me overturning all past models and rethinking the modeling methods and logic. 14 is a watershed. :shock:
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I would also say .. the new Discord server is abuzz with newbies and oldies and a great place to hang-out and discuss Moho & Animation in general - and witness examples of what others are doing with Moho.

Most of the conversation is around 14, yet not exclusively. So its a great place to see how Moho 14's features are being discussed, adopted and used.

https://lostmarble.com/discord
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yea Discord is really where it's at these days and i would entice also all the oldies but goldies here to join and hang out! It was honestly quite surprising to see how many Moho users there are :D
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

SimplSam wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:16 am I would also say .. the new Discord server is abuzz
Completely agree! It's a breath of fresh air and way more communicative, for being able to give likes and share images and video alone. Everything feels way more fresh, modern and active!

Also great is the new tutorial series. They clearly put a lot of effort and time into making these.
Adults should play more often
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

SimplSam wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:16 am I would also say .. the new Discord server...
I should get over there more often. I've dropped in a few times but haven't spent significant time there or chatted with anyone yet.

Discord always feels a bit chaotic to me, and I always have trouble finding specific info there, but I know it's a different type of social platform and not a replacement for the forums.

Maybe I can hang out on Discord this weekend and try to get more comfortable with it. :D
Karl Toon

Post by Karl Toon »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:54 pm <snip...>Discord always feels a bit chaotic to me, and I always have trouble finding specific info there, but I know it's a different type of social platform and not a replacement for the forums.<...snip>
Maybe it's an age thing :oops: :? but I feel more comfortable in the forums ATM; I just struggle with Discord when it has so many users, posts, and I can't figure out how to read the posts in threads. :? I am trying though.
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Karl Toon wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:28 pm Maybe it's an age thing :oops: :? but I feel more comfortable in the forums ATM; I just struggle with Discord...
Boy, I can relate to that. My teenage child loves using Discord and has no trouble navigating it. Me...I stare at it for a while then close the window.

Also, I'm afraid that when I figure it out, Discord will become a big time-suck for me, and I really can't afford that.

I'll still check it out though...I could change my mind. :D
aongus

Post by aongus »

For me, the new graphics engine which makes the drawing tools at last a pleasure to use, and explore ideas with. I'm probably too old for Discord, but I agree that the latest tutorial series is excellent, and obviously done with great care.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:51 pm
Karl Toon wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:28 pm Maybe it's an age thing :oops: :? but I feel more comfortable in the forums ATM; I just struggle with Discord...
Boy, I can relate to that. My teenage child loves using Discord and has no trouble navigating it. Me...I stare at it for a while then close the window.

Also, I'm afraid that when I figure it out, Discord will become a big time-suck for me, and I really can't afford that.

I'll still check it out though...I could change my mind. :D
+1 here.

I like how much better it is for sharing files and content and the amount of people and activity, but I feel like it's hard to participate in a conversation. I can come here and add something to this conversation but there it would be too late, one person would have shared a tip, other would have asked some question and continuing that conversation from yesterday would feel out of place, right? Maybe I'm not getting it but I feel like topics are better suited for constructive and lasting conversations.

I saw there are like topics there too but people don't seem to use/read those too much.

Moho 14 has been a pleasure to work with so far.

It's not perfect, for example the drawing experience has improved a lot but I hope that is just the beggining because it can still be improved much more in my opinion.

Many bugs have been fixed and some quality of life improvements added but we still have quite a few bugs that are solved in multiple scripts and we still have the two major performance killers: corrupted references and negative keyframes.Just yesterday I noticed Moho was taking like 10 seconds for each copy-paste, and the problem was broken/corrupted references. The project went back to normal and the performance was quite good for a complex 33 seconds shot.

I had zero crashes animating those 33 seconds for two/three weeks by the way. I only had one pressing the shortcut to reload the brushes testing the antialiasing problem.

The new graphic engine is a new era for Moho usability.

I will make a deeper review if I have the time. But yeah totally recommended. And we usually get many fixes and cool additions on .X versions so yeah happy days.