New GPU Menu Settings ???

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drumlug13

New GPU Menu Settings ???

Post by drumlug13 »

So it looks like the GPU options have changed in 14. I'm using CSP to draw backgrounds now and when I import the .png into Moho 14 the lines are aliased. It didn't do this in previous versions of Moho. I opened a render window so you can see that they render fine. But by using the CSP with Moho I've been trying to double check on my line weights. For the characters in Moho I have a style set for the lines and I'm wanting to be able to adjust the lines live without popping in and out of the render window (like we could in Moho 13.5 and before).

I've noticed that the option to enable GPU has been removed from the Preferences window, and the phrasing in the Display Options has changed from GPU Acceleration to GPU Caching. I'm just wondering if I have one of these new options set wrong?

In this picture the drawing in back is the imported CSP .png. The Moho character in the middle. And the render window on top. Is there any way to restore the resolution of imported images in our workspace?

Adam
synthsin75

Re: New GPU Menu Settings ???

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, GPU acceleration is now GPU caching. Disabling it *should* improve the appearance of unselected layers in the workspace, but at the cost of seeing other effects, masking, etc. accurately.
That seems to be the tradeoff for getting so much more showing in the workspace.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Unfortunately in this case - disabling/enabling seems to have no impact of the display quality of images whilst editing.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

I'm trying to force a sketch I made in Photoshop to do that, but so far, I'm not seeing it. When I zoom in or scale the image, it does get softer, but only as much as expected. It's not nearly as chunky as in Drumlug's example. My sketch was saved as a regular 24-bit PNG, so nothing special.

Does anybody know the conditions that make the image look blurry and aliased, like in Drumlug13's example? Just trying to understand what's going on there.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When I get home, I'll try importing a PNG from CSP. That really shouldn't make a difference, though.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I think it has to do more with the image size.

Here is an example I came across in an old project. For this demo: Both files saved identically and are 1080 px high, but the bottom one is 4950 px wide and the top one cropped at 1920 px.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mwR7Aa ... sp=sharing
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, thanks! I'm not using oversized images in my test. I will try that tonight.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

So that's what the problem is. The drawing I showed above is for a really wide panning shot. It's 4K height at 2160 but twice as wide at 7680. I went back into CSP and cropped it at standard 4K and imported it back into Moho and it's fine.

Before I read SimpleSam's reply I had resized the export from CSP several times, all the way down to 10%. The file size itself was down to only 146 kb but it was still the wide-panned image so it was still really choppy inside Moho. Something about the width is throwing it off.

On a side note, while I was chasing my tail on this one I noticed that line widths are now labeled in pixels. I always just assumed it was an arbitrary number inside Anime Studio and Moho. Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the replies guys
Adam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

So would adding transparent or blank height to the image solve it? To make it a more standard dimension ratio?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

It looks a tiny bit better. Not by much
Adam
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Just wanted to check if that huge canvas size was causing an issue too. So from CSP I exported a couple sample .png's. One in standard 1920 x 1080 HD ratio and one with the double width I would need for the pan 3840 x 1080

The standard HD of course looks fine, but the extra wide image has the all the aliased lines at 1080 high, just like in SimpleSam's example.
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for the extra info, Adam! I'll play around with this tonight and let you know if I find any solutions.

FWIW: I usually import the BG to Moho only as a placeholder, and composite the real BG when I get to my compositing stage (usually in After Effects, but sometimes Fusion.) I find rendering from Moho is much faster this way (great for retakes and fixes,) and this gives me more flexibility when I'm adding shadows and effects in comp.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Yeah this one all started with making sure my lines between both CSP and Moho looked right together before I fell down this rabbit hole. I use Vegas so I plan on dropping this CSP image when I render the characters in Moho ... BUT ...

While we're on the topic... When you have a scene with both your Moho characters and the background image moving, do you still render those separately and put them together in AE or do you just let Moho handle that shot?
Adam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I use Layer Comps to set my layer passes. For example, I may create layer comps for the foreground, character, midground, and background passes. If I want to get fancy, I may create custom matte passes to create effects or special shadow tricks in comp.

To render, I always use Moho Exporter. There's a button in there called something like Split By Layer Comps, that breaks out my render passes with a single click.

Tips:
  • Create a Master layer comp with all the layers visible. You won't render this layer comp but you'll want it to reset your scene to work in it.
  • Before clicking the Split By Layer Comps button, double-click the project and set your render settings. Then, when you click Split, each project will inherit those settings.
  • Bonus tip: Be sure to enable Overwrite Existing Files. Leaving this option disabled can be a nightmare for compositing artists.
  • Each Layer Comp gets saved to its own subfolder automatically. Yay!
  • Before rendering, delete any layer comps from Moho Exporter you don't need to render. I usually delete the Master layer comp.
  • To avoid setting this up every time you want to render, save a Profile in Moho Exporter. This will load all the Split projects the way you set them up. (You'll probably want to redo the Profile if you add/remove layer comps in the Layer Comps window.)
There are more tips I could add, but I'll have to look at the windows to remember them. I have to work now so maybe tonight.

I should create a tutorial about Layer Comps and Moho Exporter because together, these are incredibly useful to compositors. I hope LM revisits these windows soon because there are a few improvements I'd like to see to make them even more productive.