Color Wheel

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Karl Toon

Color Wheel

Post by Karl Toon »

https://www.canva.com/colors/color-wheel/

Really useful tool for finding colours which work well together.
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." - Walt E. Disney
Greenlaw

Re: Color Wheel

Post by Greenlaw »

Cool! I'll have to check it out.

Many years ago, I used to use the Kulor website, which had tons of color palettes, allowed you to extract palettes from images, and if you signed up, it managed a library for you. It even had a neat map to show you what the most popular palettes were by country.

Adobe bought the website and renamed it to just Color, but parts of it are still free. I think what went behind the CC paywall was the library and some of the analysis tools. I just checked by logging out of my CC account, and, yeah, parts of it remain free. Link: Color

However, I had switched over to a third-party app for a while...can't remember why, but somehow I found this app more useful than the Adobe site. I was doing a lot of web design stuff at the time so that might have something to do with it. I don't have it installed on my current computer, but I'm sure I have it in my software library. Will check and BRB with info.

Oh, and regarding a universal Color Picker (sort of discussed in your other thread) many years ago, I had an alternative color picker called Jovian Color Picker that did everything, and it worked with just about any program. (From what I recall, anyway.) The program was purchased by NewTek and integrated in LightWave 3D, but unfortunately, they dropped support for the standalone general-purpose version. I continued to use my old license for years, but I don't have it installed on my current computer, and I wonder if it will even work in Windows 11. (Probably not well if at all...this must have been back in Windows XP or 7 days.) Sadly, I'm not aware of anything like it for modern computers.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:22 pm I had switched over to a third-party app for a while...can't remember why, but somehow I found this app more useful than the Adobe site. I was doing a lot of web design stuff at the time so that might have something to do with it. I don't have it installed on my current computer, but I'm sure I have it in my software library. Will check and BRB with info.
Found it.

ColorSchemer 2

It's pretty old though and looks like it hasn't been updated in ages, which might be why I stopped using it. I still have my license, but the program looks very XP so I don't think I'll bother to install it on my Win 11 computer.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh...but that page led me to this one...

https://www.colourlovers.com/

Looks like a community-managed source for palettes and design trends. I'm guessing that, "back in the day," with the app linked to this site, it offered something similar to Kolor.

Maybe I have it backwards...maybe I switched from this to using Kulor (now Color.)

Funny...I just checked my Adobe library for the Color website and all that remains of my saved color palettes are Halloween-related. For some reason, all my other palettes have been deleted, leaving behind a lot of empty folders. Not that I care now, but thanks, Adobe. :|

Update: no, the palettes are still there. They just move them out of my folders and dumped them into an uncategorized folder. How rude. :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I love working with color gamut masks, as developed by James Gurney. It's probably more for painters and digital artists than animators, but it's worth checking out. Gamut masks are basically a more precise way of working within color schemes, e.g. monochromatic, complementary, etc.

https://mypaintingclub.com/blog/post/39 ... -Mask-Tool
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Speaking of colours and palettes... have any of you seen a plugin for Photoshop (I think) looking something like this

Aside from many custom options, it has one in which one (perhaps more) of these palette bars is updated upon picking a colour, so colours on the bar could be either analogous, complimentary, hue or similar. I've seen a promo video and I was sure I bookmarked it. Alas... I believe it was promoted as a helper for digital painting but had no luck finding it again.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Well, as far as Photoshop color picker plugins are concerned, Coolorus is fantastic.

https://coolorus.com/
Last edited by Ronbo on Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Nice one, indeed, but this particular one provides some "deeper" insight into used or suggested colours.

I believe it's made as a digital painter's helper since it can update the bar with used colours of the same hue or the shades of already used colours / apart from "usual suggestions" which could also be updated upon picking the colour. Things like that could help despite the number of colours on the palette - either wide as in digital painting or rather narrower for adjusting or harmonizing colours in characters, backgrounds... I'll chime back if I find it first.

/edit/
Oddly enough, I've found it this time... (it becomes more interesting from 5:36)