Does anyone have experience with CG Wire's Kitsu?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lukas

Does anyone have experience with CG Wire's Kitsu?

Post by Lukas »

Kitsu is an animation production tracker from CG Wire. It's open source and free if you host it yourself. I'm interested in using it for our productions, but have no experience with it.

I was wondering if anyone here has used it. If so, what is your experience with it and would you recommend it? Especially in combination with Moho.

We have a small local render farm that currently renders all shots as image sequences that are sent to it. Once it's done it compiles the image sequence with the shot's corresponding audio file into a small mp4 that is sent to our discord channel. Which is nice. This together with google sheets to track production is what we've been using until now. But when working on bigger longer films it's starting to become cumbersome. Kitsu looks like it's able to put the production sheet and render previews etc into a single system. With lots of opportunities for some pipeline optimisation.
mmmaarten

Re: Does anyone have experience with CG Wire's Kitsu?

Post by mmmaarten »

I know that the Blender Studio is using it on all their Blender movies.
(they talk about it in talks and you can read about it on their pages, like this one here: https://studio.blender.org/blog/kitsu-a ... r-blender/)

I also have it installed here locally and tried it out. It seems quite nice to use. But for the animation short I'm working on I didn't really kept using it, only because I'm the only one working on the project. So that was a little overkill for me. If I will cooperate on new projects with others I will definitely look at it again tho as it looks very useful.

BTW Blender also has an addon for Kitsu so that means it also has an API. So if Moho scripts can call remote connections with scripts (not sure about that) it should be possible to write a script for Moho too
Adults should play more often
Lukas

Re: Does anyone have experience with CG Wire's Kitsu?

Post by Lukas »

Thanks, I'll check out the Blender addon and how they use it.

Not sure if Moho scripts can talk with Kitsu, this is new terrain for me. Currently we run a .lua script to run a .py script that sends info to our renderqueue, but I'm not sure if that's 100% necessary. I didn't write the .py part or the renderqueue system (it's developed in house though).

Even if it's not possible for Moho to directly connect, the system to keep track of progress seems very useful on its own.