Linking Bones to Curver?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

PetrichorCrown

Linking Bones to Curver?

Post by PetrichorCrown »

Hi everyone!
Looking for some help with curvers vs bones if you'd be so kind. Is there a way to link bones to a curver so I can use the compressible curver as the 'spine' of the character? Or does it have to be bones only?
I would also like to bind the lower jaw to the rest of the character's body layer - I have it separate because when the mouth is closed I want the teeth to be hidden by the upper lip. Is this doable?

I've provided a short video of the rig in question so you can see how it currently "works" :lol:

Many thanks!
Daxel

Re: Linking Bones to Curver?

Post by Daxel »

You can't just use the curvers as if they were bones, parenting their points to your bones. (it would be cool though).

But you can mix both and achieve the same result. Create a spine with bones, making sure that the number of bones and their position matches your curver's points. Then bind the points of the curver to the bones, so each bone can move a curver point. Now your skeleton is glued and each time you want to move a curver point you just move the bone that controls it. Of course you can also tweak the pose moving also the curver points, but most of the time you won't need to do it.

To have more control over the bones of the spine, as if the joints were points, you can use this script by A. Evseeva: https://mohoscripts.com/script/ae_bone_magnet

I guess you can create the spine with pin bones instead, to move them like points. I may try that the next time and see how it goes, but so far a normal spine worked well for me.