Moho 14 / Liquid Shapes / texture image / BUG

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tylos

Moho 14 / Liquid Shapes / texture image / BUG

Post by Tylos »

I have liquid shapes and image texture and i get some strange distortions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yVqbVt ... sp=sharing
Panha

Re: Moho 14 / Liquid Shapes / texture image / BUG

Post by Panha »

Tylos wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:37 pm I have liquid shapes and image texture and i get some strange distortions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yVqbVt ... sp=sharing
It is not the problem with liquid shape, it is the problem of shape with "image texture". It's been with Moho since previouse versions of Moho and the bugs still have not been fixed. Generally, when you have a shape with image texture on it, then you bind it to a bone, the problem happens (I generally see the problem when using point binding, and the problem sometimes happens especially with just little complex shape, but sometimes not especially when texture is applied to a basic shape). It seems that the texture won't react to the binding at all. Only the shape and points are binded, but the shapes are not binded.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Image textures are only influenced by bone strength.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

For textures and other shape effects with handles, like gradients, you need bone strength to move the handles, because as Panha said point binding will only affect points but not the effect handles. However, I see your textures are moving with the legs so I guess you are actually using bone strength so this could indeed be a problem with liquid shapes.

I made some tests and added these conclusions to my notes:

I can confirm gradients and textures move correctly with the bones when these have strength (alternatively, you can use layer bind if that suits your needs).

The problem is indeed with liquid shapes. Textures and gradients break when moving liquid shapes using bones, even if the bones have strength. This could be considered a bug or just a limitation of liquid shapes.

Not all effects with handles are moved correctly by bone strength, the exception is splotchy, which is a legacy effect, and probably spots too.

While bone strength is indeed needed to move the texture and gradient effects with the bones, I was wrong about the handles being moved. The handles actually stay in the same position when you move the bones, but the effect does move with the bones.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

This is not a bug, it's just how Liquid Shapes works.

Any feature in Moho that moves only points on a curve, like Liquid Shapes or Bind Point, will not deform an Image layer or Image Texture image. This is because Images are deformed by curve points but by a mesh, either the unseen self-generated kind (the default when you import an image) or the user-created kind (Mesh layer or a vector layer defined as a mesh.) To deform a mesh, you must use Bones with Bone Strength or edit the mesh directly using the Transform Points tool or Magnet tool.

Note that Liquid Shapes does what it does by creating new shapes on-the-fly, and it's not actually 'morphing' a single shape, so you cannot expect images to have the same visual 'morphing' effect you see in these shapes.

It's sort of possible to combine the techniques, but there will likely be conflicts with how to deform texture between multiple merging shapes, probably because the mesh construction and bounding area keep changing. (I just did a test to confirm, and, yeah, it gets crazy...)

So, I would avoid this technique for this situation. It's just not meant to be.

I'm curious about why Liquid Shapes was used in your example, as I don't see a need for it. Wouldn't it be better to rig the artwork using the usual methods to get predictable deformations for both the vectors and the image?

Image Attribution: The floral texture used in this example was created by pikisuperstar and can be found here: Floral Pattern