Feature request

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ZeroAbility

Feature request

Post by ZeroAbility »

I would like to ask if it might be possible to add an 'Exclude Strokes' checkbox in the Layer Shading panel in a future update?
Currently I have to keep my fills and strokes on separate layers in order to achieve this.
Thanks.
Lukas

Re: Feature request

Post by Lukas »

That would be useful for sure.

Related, but probably needs a node based render system or something else complex: We've often wanted to exclude eyes from the shading when using layer shading on a character in Club Baboo. Basically exclude shapes with black strokes and white fills (the characters have color outlines for all other parts).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Somewhat related: I wish there was an easy way to render a character's line work as a separate render pass from Moho.

For example, maybe set up a Moho Layer Comp with a 'Strokes Only' option eanbled, so when I use Moho Exporter to break out my layer passes, it will render the special layer comp that has 'Strokes Only' enabled. The tricky part, of course, is making fills transparent but masking any lines that exist behind the fills.

I can sort of do this now using a setup involving reference layers, custom styles, and maybe smart bones, but that's more complicated than it should be. A simple "Strokes Only, Please, For This Layer Comp Setting" button would be so nice.

Right now, I'm basically rendering the 'Stokes-Only' pass with solid white fills and black strokes, and using Multiply in my compositing program. Not exactly the same as having a transparent fill region but it works too. When I'm in a real hurry, I may simply key out the linework but that's not an ideal technique. (This latter technique is easier if you render without anti-aliasing, and use the free OLM tools to key out the strokes using OLM Keyer and then add AA using OLM Smoother.)

Anyway, the 'Strokes Only' option would be very helpful during compositing when I need to light a character as a post effect (a very common need,) and hold out the character's line work so it's not affected by the lighting technique. Then I can just bring it in as a proper layer, with no special post-process tricks needed.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ZeroAbility

Post by ZeroAbility »

I ran into that 'tricky part' as well, Greenlaw. It seems like we came up with similar workarounds, except I multiply that white-fills-black-strokes layer in Moho.
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

ZeroAbility wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm I would like to ask if it might be possible to add an 'Exclude Strokes' checkbox in the Layer Shading panel in a future update?
Currently I have to keep my fills and strokes on separate layers in order to achieve this.
Thanks.
I'm not sure that this is exactly what might suit you, but there is such a script. Video in Russian
the script's job is to control the animation of the contour thickness from 0 to 400 %
Watch from 1:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAs5yCU ... isisBorsch
The script itself is here - https://boosty.to/thisisanimation/posts ... =post_link

The automatic subtitles are quite tolerable, they can be translated into English