"Shortcut Field" in the "create new action" window

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

peng

"Shortcut Field" in the "create new action" window

Post by peng »

I wonder how to use the "Shortcut Field" in the "create new action" window?
synthsin75

Re: "Shortcut Field" in the "create new action" window

Post by synthsin75 »

You can insert the action while the timeline is playing by hitting that shortcut.

But it won't update to show your changes until the timeline plays through a second time.
peng

Post by peng »

ic thank you synthsin75, is there a way to edit the shortcut after the action is created?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Right-click>Rename
Panha

Post by Panha »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:21 pm You can insert the action while the timeline is playing by hitting that shortcut.

But it won't update to show your changes until the timeline plays through a second time.
I used to try adding Shortcuts to the Actions in the Action field too, but it does not show anything.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's probably working as intended. Try pressing Play (quick press-Play,) and then pressing the shortcut where you want to insert the Regular and Morphs keyframes. The Actions shortcuts are only meant to add keyframes during playback. In other words, it's a 'live performance capture' feature.

Personally, I might use them more if they worked when the timeline was not playing. But I can see how that could cause a lot of chaos in the timeline since they could get triggered unintentionally. Maybe if it was an option that could be enabled during the animation stage?

I dunno...I probably still wouldn't use the shortcuts during animation. When I need a specific pre-made pose or animation, it's easy enough to click on the name in the Actions window, and I don't often do that anyway.

(Update: I tried it myself just now to check that it works in 14.1, and yes, it does work. As Wes mentioned above, I do not see the keyframes immediately, but the poses/anims are obviously inserted and played as I press the shortcuts. When playback is stopped, the keyframes appear in the timeline.)