Cutout animatiion software for children?

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Cutout animatiion software for children?

Post by slowtiger »

Next weekend I will introduce a 9 yr old to animation. For a start he wants to know how to get images/drawings into the computer, and then how to move them.

Can any of you recommend some sofware for Mac, besides Moho?
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Hoptoad

Re: Cutout animatiion software for children?

Post by Hoptoad »

I used stop motion to introduce animation to my daughter. She moved a toy around for the project, and loved watching it move around by itself on the computer. The software was MonkeyJam. The interface is pretty easy for a child to learn.

Another idea: take 2-4 photos of the child's drawings, "cut" away the white space from the drawings in Photoshop, and use only Moho to move the pieces. Teaching only the Transform Layer tool would make it easier. For example, move the clouds, move the car, move the armadillo.

Good luck.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I honestly can't think of any better application for a 9 year old wanting to import images/drawings and animate them than Moho Debut. More specifically, Moho Debut 13.5 or earlier because of the Beginner's Mode option that simplifies the tools and has larger icons. Beginner's Mode is not available in Moho Debut 14, it seems.

Coincidentally, I have a very smart 9 year old grandniece who recently asked me to show her how I animate her drawings. If she really gets into it I plan to recommend Moho Debut 13.5 to her parents.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

slowtiger wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:01 pm Next weekend I will introduce a 9 yr old to animation. For a start he wants to know how to get images/drawings into the computer, and then how to move them.

Can any of you recommend some sofware for Mac, besides Moho?
Sounds like you aren't looking for something with rigging, more something with fbf or stop motion, so I would go for Krita. It's free, got great brushes to draw with and an easy timeline to quickly create animations with. And when he likes it it's also great software to continue working with it instead of quickly growing out of it.

[edit] Oh, never mind. I forgot for a minute that the title literally said 'Cutout animation'. Than I agree with Ronbo; why not use Moho? And if it's about literal cutouts from paper you could still use Krita. Or every editor app with a timeline I would say?
Adults should play more often
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

I use Dragonframe for stop motion (and anything else I'd shoot with a camera - cutouts, claymation, drawn animation) - they have a "try for free" mode, too.

You do need a camera and a tripod, and it really helps if you buy it outright and get the controller, but it is a bit pricey. That said, it is super software and gives you tons of control over exposure, timing, paths, and so on.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com