Moho Export - Wrong Colors!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lazyroll

Moho Export - Wrong Colors!

Post by lazyroll »

No matter the export preset, my simple project (on MacOS) exports in wrong (more saturated colors), even if I choose PNG sequence. When I work inside the project the colors are correct. The more I drive this software, the more it drives me nuts...

https://imgur.com/a/MwhMxOX
(Exported image is below, above are the correct and intended colors.)
Last edited by lazyroll on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
slowtiger

Re: Moho Export - Wrong Colors!

Post by slowtiger »

Project view is not to trust in delicate stuff like this, oly the rendered result counts.

That said: you can test your setup by writing down the RGB values for some of your shapes in Moho, then open the rendered image in Photoshop or the like and check if the values are the same.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
lazyroll

Re: Moho Export - Wrong Colors!

Post by lazyroll »

slowtiger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:50 pm Project view is not to trust in delicate stuff like this, oly the rendered result counts.

That said: you can test your setup by writing down the RGB values for some of your shapes in Moho, then open the rendered image in Photoshop or the like and check if the values are the same.
But at least I know that project view shows the correct colors. RGB values are identical. I can compare directly with my affinity project and exported images (and you can clearly see the differences by the naked eye because the project is in flat colors). Even Preview shows bad colors, and export of course. It's getting ridiculous... Then I tried to use motion blur and the program just crashes, and it's just one of the many issues I have with this software.

EDIT: I'm sorry, apparently it's Mac and specifically QuickTime Player. What I've found online:
"Mac uses it's own goofy colorspace. play your file in a different media viewer like VLC or something and you'll see a drastic difference something with quicktime adds it's own color space and messes things up. it's a very well known very well documented issue that has been addressed here quite a few times."

"Apple’s color management in QuickTime (or any program that uses apple’s color management) uses a slightly different gamma curve than we’re used to - I think some people call it rec709A. Basically, you can grade it to look “right” in QuickTime, or you can grade it to look right for everybody else.
If you have one available, pull up the video on a PC or on your phone. You’ll see that it resembles your premiere program monitor more than your QuickTime Player. "

Hopefully it will help other Mac users in the future, take care!