Head Turn

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NanotechBeasts

Head Turn

Post by NanotechBeasts »

I know I am posting a lot of different little questions but it's just so when I get back to my project I can make progress. My time with the program is currently so limited but I do have more time with my phone for a few quick entraries.

Any tips for this kind of head turn? I am currently working on the 3/4 head for the middle of the animation,not shown in this older YouTube clips. I had hoped to try created a smooth movement by reducing head frames later but don't want a blur cheat.

https://youtu.be/TfSohk7HM-c?si=HSmXm5qYcLX5P_dt

I always struggled with head turns. I will probably get a reference sheet for this character later as I greatly struggle with the head and twist in the metal paws. But this is just a concept trailer and character designs will likely change.

This character wolf jackal hybrid, but may be redesigned as a jackal later on depending on what the team decides.
slowtiger

Re: Head Turn

Post by slowtiger »

Looks a lot like my very first smart bone attempts ...

The trick is to have more than just start and end keys for the different face parts, and to set those right you need some guide. I do my head turns in a bitmap program first, correct a lot until each and every frame looks right. Only then I import these into Moho and replicate in vector.

As for how to draw a convincing head turn ...
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

You can also normally find 3D rotatable models on sites like Sketchfab and TurboSquid that will give you an indication of what should be where when. Take some screenshots as templates.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Panha

Post by Panha »

I always struggle for head turn and body turn too, especially when layer order involves. But I am trying some vitruvian bones to make turn from a frame to another frame, then at the ending frame I switch to body part using vitruvian bone. You can try it too. It is kind of limited for today Moho to make head turn however I can see that a lot of animators uses their own technique and have very good result. I sometimes uses bone to control the points along with smart bone action to turn head and body. The problem of doing this is that when using smart bone to make the point turn, the point move from its parent bones.
NanotechBeasts

Post by NanotechBeasts »

Sorry I have been getting behind on replies. I still haven't gotten that head turn quite right but it has at least improved.