Connect masked pupil with a bone in an upper layer

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gaston

Connect masked pupil with a bone in an upper layer

Post by Gaston »

Hello!
I have a pupil in one eye (masked in a group).
I want to control it through a bone from the character, but I can't select the pupil to connect it to the bone. I can select the group, but I can't edit the pupil.
Any tips?
Hoptoad

Re: Connect masked pupil with a bone in an upper layer

Post by Hoptoad »

Gaston wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:22 pm Hello!
I have a pupil in one eye (masked in a group).
I want to control it through a bone from the character, but I can't select the pupil to connect it to the bone. I can select the group, but I can't edit the pupil.
Any tips?
In a group with masking, I generally put the pupil in its own layer. It's easy to select the shape that way. So maybe move the pupil to its own layer using copy/paste selected points.
Greenlaw

Re: Connect masked pupil with a bone in an upper layer

Post by Greenlaw »

Without seeing any files or images, this is just a guess, but is the Group using Bind Layer? Bind Layer prevents the child layers from being affected by other bones.

If you need a child layer to use another bone, you should bind each of the contents individually, not as a group.

For example, if a Group called Eye contains artwork layers called Eyeball, Eyelids, and Pupil, then don't bind the Eye Group. Instead, you might use Bind Layer for the layers Eyeball and Eyelids and bind them to an Eye Bone, and then use Bind Layer to bind the Pupil layer to a Pupil bone that's parented to the Eye bone.

So...

Bones
-Head Bone
-- Eye Bone
--- Pupil Bone

Layers (under Bones layer)
- Eye Group (no binding)
-- Eyeball (bound to Eye Bone)
-- Eyeball Mask (bound to Eye Bone)
-- Eyelids (bound to Eye Bone)
-- Pupil (bound to Pupil Bone)