Frame 0 and the Sequencer

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Frame 0 and the Sequencer

Post by Greenlaw »

More info regarding the Dropbox issue:

Apparently, Dropbox has dropped support for public image hosting. This sucks, but at least they're allowing me to keep all my old image shares active, so my older Moho forums posts should still display my Dropbox images.

To fix the image above, I went back to using Imgur. The last time I used Imgur was over nine years ago, so I had to reactivate my account, re-verify my email, and change my password. Once I did that, I was surprised to see many images from nine years ago and older still being hosted there. (Lots of Scareplane behind-the-scenes screen caps, so that was definitely a long time ago.) :D

Anyway, Imgur is still free. To use it with the Moho forums, just drag and drop your image, click on the three dots, and choose Get Share Links. Click on BBCode (Forums) to copy the link and then paste it directly into your Moho post.

Update for Dropbox issue: I updated my shared image from last week and saw that there's a range going back farther where the images are still broken. Based on something I read elsewhere, the cutoff began with images uploaded since March. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to leave those posts alone and move on.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sorry, I really didn't mean to hijack this thread, so hopefully, this is the last post on the Dropbox issue...

At this time the Dropbox issue appears to be fixed, at least for new shared images. I was tipped by a user in the Dropbox forums about this, so I tested it in a dummy post here in the Lost Marble forums, and it worked! I'm assuming older shares work now, but I haven't checked yet.

A Dropbox tech sort of acknowledged there was a problem and that it was being looked into, but that was the last I heard. So, hopefully they fixed the problem and this wasn't an intentional policy change.

Update: Yup! It looks like older shared images are displaying correctly again. Moving on. :D
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Hoptoad wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:23 pm
Reindeer wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:01 am
Not easy to explain.... so, In my experience, any layer content (animated or not) remains visible (and renders) from frame 0 to any frame set as Start. If I draw a circle and move the layer's Start Time to frame 48, I'll be seeing that circle from 0 to 48 (which is why I move the content out of the way), and it'll render. If it's not supposed to do that, I must be making some macroscopic mistake.
I still a little confused. Frame 0 doesn't render, in my experience. I think I'm confused by your use of "Start Time." I'm guessing you mean the the time a sequence begins when you've slid it forward in Sequencer timeline.

I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like you don't know the following information.

You can go to FILE > PROJECT SETTINGS and set the "Start Frame" to 48 (or whatever). When you press PLAY, the animation will ignore frames 1-47 and start on frame 48.

Ok, yes, thanks. I knew about the Start Frame feature but I I was confusing it with the Start Time feature in the Sequencer. So, yes, Start Frame gives us a range for start and end. Which is very convenient, true, to set rendering footage. My mistake there.
My issues, therefore, are with the use of the Sequencer and the way frame 0 is "suspended" or "frozen" (I can't find a better term) when the layer's Start Time (in the sequencer) is moved ahead. If I move Start Time to frame 48 (this number is becoming a meme :) ), the layer's content on frames between 0 and 48 keep on showing. In my mind, the gap between 0 and 48 should ideally be invisible, because you want the animation to start at 48 and not see anything prior to that frame. This is why every time I want a layer to start later (sugin the Sequencer) I move the content between 0 and the new Start Time out of camera view using layer position. I click on the layer position where I want the animation to start and then click on the previous frame and drag the layer out of view. If I don't do this, the content will be visible during work and will appear in the final render.
I don't know if I've managed to explain, it's no easy. if not I'll try to upload an image example.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:58 pm More info regarding the Dropbox issue:

Apparently, Dropbox has dropped support for public image hosting. This sucks, but at least they're allowing me to keep all my old image shares active, so my older Moho forums posts should still display my Dropbox images.

To fix the image above, I went back to using Imgur. The last time I used Imgur was over nine years ago, so I had to reactivate my account, re-verify my email, and change my password. Once I did that, I was surprised to see many images from nine years ago and older still being hosted there. (Lots of Scareplane behind-the-scenes screen caps, so that was definitely a long time ago.) :D

Anyway, Imgur is still free. To use it with the Moho forums, just drag and drop your image, click on the three dots, and choose Get Share Links. Click on BBCode (Forums) to copy the link and then paste it directly into your Moho post.

Update for Dropbox issue: I updated my shared image from last week and saw that there's a range going back farther where the images are still broken. Based on something I read elsewhere, the cutoff began with images uploaded since March. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to leave those posts alone and move on.
Thanks for this info... I too was wondering which image hosting is the most practical for this forum's purpose. You suggest Imgur... I think i still have an old account there.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Reindeer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 pm Thanks for this info... I too was wondering which image hosting is the most practical for this forum's purpose. You suggest Imgur... I think i still have an old account there.
At the moment, it looks like Dropbox is back to allowing image sharing on public pages. I'm hoping this was an error on their part that just took time to fix. I'd like to keep using Dropbox because nearly all the images I posted here (maybe hundreds at this point) are shared from my Dropbox account.

That said, Imgur worked well for me over the weekend, and it was very easy to use. I'm considering switching to it because they're still hosting my images posted to this forum nine years ago. TBD.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 am
Reindeer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 pm Thanks for this info... I too was wondering which image hosting is the most practical for this forum's purpose. You suggest Imgur... I think i still have an old account there.
At the moment, it looks like Dropbox is back to allowing image sharing on public pages. I'm hoping this was an error on their part that just took time to fix. I'd like to keep using Dropbox because nearly all the images I posted here (maybe hundreds at this point) are shared from my Dropbox account.

That said, Imgur worked well for me over the weekend, and it was very easy to use. I'm considering switching to it because they're still hosting my images posted to this forum nine years ago. TBD.
I found a review for imgbox.com, which they say is good for on-the-fly uploads (doesn't even require a account)
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 am

I just tried imgbox but it didn't work (and I don't like it has "scammy" looking ads). Instead, this worked and is supereasy because it has custom links for forums: postimages.org
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Imgur works very well. Just upload the image, click the BB link button to copy the link, and paste it here in your post. You don't even need to use the Image button in the Post Editor. I think you need an account to keep the images indefinitely. As mentioned, images I posted over nine years ago are still active, even though I had stopped using Imgur until last week. Also, it's free.

In my case, I've gone back to using Dropbox. It sounds like this was a bug on their end, and they rolled out a fix yesterday. So far, it's back to working the way it did before.