Cunning way to do Head Turns

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Shall I write a full indepth guide to doing this?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:51 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4
lostbear

Post by lostbear »

to prove how easy this technique is, I will finish the written tutorial and and then create a video version and post it on 3dpalace.com

bear
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Bones3D wrote: Anyone care to take a stab at a full 180 degree rotation of a 2D character using Moho vector objects and uploading the resulting .moho file as a demonstration?
User macton had posted his work a while back that showed a rotating dog but without the .moho file I think.

I think that Barry Baker did it as well http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=855 -but basically they built the characters in parts and placed the heads eyes etc at different zdepths

A few other things in the tips & tricks forum I think with bones and switch layers.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
cribble

Post by cribble »

http://cribble.thecircadian.com/head_turn

there's my animation and head turn file. Technique is on this forum somewhere, but have a gander - the animation looked better exported with variable line widths, the example on my page is just normal.
--Scott
cribble.net
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

Interesting approach and one I hadn't quite thought of...

Cribble's method utilizes only four layers with visibility swapping, breaking the turn sequence up at the points where z-sorting becomes an issue. Each layer tweens as needed, then in the two frames where the z-sorting changes, the layer visibility gets swapped without disrupting the animation flow and the new visible layer tweens to the next state.

It's actually a painfully obvious method similar to what I've used in the past to sync animation to speech. :P
8==8 Bones 8==8
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

After seeing the above sample I just realized another drawback to the technique described in this tutorial using 3d software and AE...

... you can't export to Flash format!

Well... technically you could but... the head would be an image... which is tricky exporting to Flash from what I've heard... and it wouldn't "match" the rest of the output.

Since I do very little Flash output with Moho this never occured to me.

-Vern
lostbear

Post by lostbear »

After seeing the above sample I just realized another drawback to the technique described in this tutorial using 3d software and AE...

... you can't export to Flash format!
sure u can....you end up back in moho and rendering through moho...so....you can export to flash.

-bear
lostbear

Post by lostbear »

nice job cribble
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

lostbear wrote:....you end up back in moho and rendering through moho...so....you can export to flash.

-bear
That is what I said in my observation. The head is a graphic... a "raster" image exported from AE... it is made of pixels... It is not VECTOR based...

... which is why many people export to Flash so the animations are small, and quality is size independant.

-vern
cribble

Post by cribble »

with my method you can export to flash, though don't expect a small file size as you've just used 4 un-optimized layers. I'm going to update the page a lil, so it includes a tutorial on the page.

Occasionally flash doesn't like to import it, or you'll get a fat error. To solve this export in staggered amounts per export. So you'll export 0-25, then, 26-50, 51-75 etc etc
--Scott
cribble.net