Aeon Flux Complete Collection DVD

Seen some cool animation lately? Share it with the rest of us.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

phlux0r

Aeon Flux Complete Collection DVD

Post by phlux0r »

Now, this isn't exactly fresh from the field but in case anyone didn't already know (and is interested in this), there's a 2005 re-relase of the complete MTV series Aeon Flux by Peter Chung on DVD. Just search amazon and you'll find it if you're keen.

In my opinion, AF is one of the best animated TV shows out there. It's got style, story, character and charm and serious replay value. The
DVD has commentary tracks by Peter Chung and producer Japhet Asher and some of the other writers. It contains the pilot and all the shorts as well as the 10 half hour episodes. It's a must have for AF fans :)! Plus, Peter Chung has re-edited the episodes and enhanced the graphics and changed some of the story dialogue to make it more cohesive. He said he always wanted to go back and change a few things here and there and now he got the chance. I must say, the quality of the DVD is great and certainly will revive any excitement you may have had when you anticipated the next AF episode on Liquid TV :).
cribble

Post by cribble »

see, i don't know what to think of this cartoon. I think it's good one minute and the next i think it lacks in something... maybe character development, maybe huge gaps in the story.. i'm not sure. i hope the movie isn't like that!
--Scott
cribble.net
phlux0r

Post by phlux0r »

Well, the movie is quite different. The way I saw it, it went for visual style, first and foremost, then it tried to implement a coherent storyline that would make sense. The trouble is that the film tried to tell the story so it would have a beginning, middle and end in a classical way but I felt that there wasn't enough time for all that. Plus, as you yourself observed, Aeon Flux doesn't lend itself for this kind of storytelling approach. It deliberately puts you into the middle of something you don't know the beginning of and most likely will not know the end of either. I'm not going to go into the story itself as one should really look at the movie as a totally separate entity from the animated series (although it is helpful to be aquainted with the stories from the series as certain elements are also used in the movie).

However, the film looks really good and Ms. Theron is very appealing :) and did a lot of great work (as she does) but still couldn't change the overall feeling that the original charm and charisma of the characters has been altered to fit a particular level of conformity. In other words, both Aeon and Trevor were made into likeable characters or heroes without ambiguity whereas I think it's that very ambiguity in Aeon's and Trevor's original character that appealed (to me) in the first place.

For me, the animated Aeon Flux is really a series that explores the actions of characters who have their traits and idiosynchracies and all that in a fantastic world. Those explorations often go into the abstract realm and definitely may not always make sense. But that's the case with a lot of art. Peter Chung said himself that he doesn't want to interpret Aeon Flux because he wants the viewer to take away whatever they feel like. Having watched the series again recently my brain was certainly tickled in different ways than years back :).