I was about to buy moho and now it's anime studio

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bt_impaler

I was about to buy moho and now it's anime studio

Post by bt_impaler »

I was learning moho and loving the program. I was learning with the demo version so I could see if it could achieve what I wanted. After using it for the past 2 weeks, I realized it was a great program. However, now that they're calling it anime studio - what has changed? And can I still purchase Moho (I can't afford the $200 anime pro at the moment and I'm afraid the $50 version will have lost some features that moho had). Also, do either of those versions have lip syncing capabilities like papagayo?
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Basically, Anime Studio Pro is the same program as Moho. However, the $50 version hasn't got all the features. As far as I know, both versions support Papagayo lip syncing.

There is an comparision chart at e-frontiers website:

http://www.e-frontier.com/go/animestudio/compare

Unfortunatly, I don't think you can buy Moho anymore.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This comparison chart is an interesting reading. Basically it says "if you don't buy the pro version, you can't work like a pro".

Most important things the Non-Pro-version doesn't cover:
- no bigger renderings than 768x768px (good enough for TV, though)
- no scenes longer than 3000 frames (that's still good enough for 3 minutes)
- no export of single images (but you could do screenshots instead)
- no grids, no onionskin (= less accuracy in animation)
- no layer operations (you will not be able to optimise flash output regarding small file sizes, and complex multiplane stuff is nearly impossible to do)
You will still be able to do nice work in Moho/AnimeStudio within these limitations. It's definitely worth 50$ because most of the essentials are there.

However, bigger projects, which have many scenes, many characters, or using Moho/AnimeStudio with lots of other programs, definitely will need the "Pro" version. The other things left out are mostly stuff needed to organise assets within a team:
- no styles (this is a nuisance to work without)
- no scripting, no actions (no clever reuse of animation, no import of image sequences)
- no group layers (makes it difficult to create complex scenes)
- no import of EPS and AI, no tracing (you have to create everything in Moho/AS)

I'd say they made a very clever decision about what to put in and what not. Someone who needs to import AI files is very likely to have a copy of Illustrator - and look how much this costs, so it's likely that he can afford ASpro as well. From my POV, being able to organise things speeds up animation that much that it's worth an additional 150$.

In a nutshell: AS is still a complete program with non-crippled output. ASpro is the Moho we came to love with all its possibilities.
mykyl1966

Post by mykyl1966 »

I actually dont understand the way its been done. Surely the content is stuff that new folks to animation would want hence should be with the standard version. The 'pros' will create there own. So a doubling in price for stuff that most folks buying the 'pro' version wont need is strange to say the least.

Maybe I am just bitter but life makes you like that. :D

Rephrase I am bitter about it. I really wanted Moho but due to circumstances that I mentioned to the Moho guy I was unable to get it and now its way out of reach.

Mike R
myles

Post by myles »

mykyl1966 wrote:ISurely the content is stuff that new folks to animation would want hence should be with the standard version. The 'pros' will create there own.
Mike, I agree - but the comparison table says "Built in Content" is in both versions, although "3D Object" and "User Samples" content sections are only in the Pro version.

slowtiger, the table says bones can still bind layers in the standard version, and layers can be scaled, translated, and rotated in 2D, but not sheared or rotated in 3D, so maybe users can still do some optimisation if their aim is SWF output.

I agree with slowtiger - by the look of it, AS (standard) is still a complete animation program - which I suspect will fill the needs of many individual animators, who will be getting it for half the cost of Moho's previous price.
By the look of the web-site, they can then upgrade later if they find they need the Pro features.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
mykyl1966

Post by mykyl1966 »

I had a look at the standard version but the 3d side of things is what I would need for my plans.

Maybe next year...

Cheers

Mike R
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

There is something interesting on the chart. Many items of the tools window are missing from the normal version. These things were Lua scripts in Moho so anybody was able to improve or rewrite them. I made a whole new toolset to replace some of these tools, and other users made such things as well.

There is a "Script writing" option what is missing from the basic version. That means the whole Lua is missing? Then our custom scripts won't run anymore on the basic version. No Tools, no additional menus, no Layerscripts...

Since I can't download the demo programs, I don't know how they made this. Maybe they rewrote the whole tools window in another programming language (C). A different solution if they kept the Lua files, but in a compiled form or with other (name, checksum etc.) restrictions to be sure the program could load only the original LM files. Both ensures that a user won't be able to improve these tools in the basic version.
- - - Fazek
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

We didn't want to confuse new users by talking too much about scripting and the Lua programming language. But for Moho users who know what's going on I can go into more detail. So: Lua is still in the basic version, and the tools in the toolbar are still readable/modifyable Lua source, just like always. You can still add your own tools as well.

The difference is that some of the tools have been removed from the basic version. For example, anything related to 3D (rotating a layer in 3D, etc.) Also, some of the more obscure drawing tools (like Noise, Bend, and the Arrow tool - does anyone use the arrow tool?) are only in Pro.

Also, the Scripts menu is completely gone in the basic version.

In summary, if you're a current Moho user, the Pro version of Anime Studio is closer to the current Moho. Anime Studio Pro is what we'll be upgrading Moho users to.
Runfunky

Post by Runfunky »

Lost Marble wrote: Also, some of the more obscure drawing tools (like Noise, Bend, and the Arrow tool - does anyone use the arrow tool?) are only in Pro.
I used the arrow once! Just to...uhm, see what the heck it did.

A BIG congrats to Mr. Lost Marble by the way! I appreciate all the work you've put into this.

~B
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

Lost Marble wrote: In summary, if you're a current Moho user, the Pro version of Anime Studio is closer to the current Moho. Anime Studio Pro is what we'll be upgrading Moho users to.
But the real question is, when? I'm mostly being facetious, because I'm sure there's lots to be done administratively with the partnership, but I know everyone's thinking it....

And congrats from me as well!!!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Thanks for the congratulations!

I wish I could tell you when the upgrade will be available, but I just don't know right now. As soon as I know, I'll post the news here on the forum, and send out an email.
bt_impaler

can i buy moho 5 for the $100 price?

Post by bt_impaler »

If anyone knows if I can buy the $100 Moho, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to buy it, but I'm a little ticked if I have to pay twice the price for the same product that I was about to buy.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Moho is no longer for sale. You cannot buy Moho anymore.
Patmals

Re: can i buy moho 5 for the $100 price?

Post by Patmals »

bt_impaler wrote:If anyone knows if I can buy the $100 Moho, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to buy it, but I'm a little ticked if I have to pay twice the price for the same product that I was about to buy.
Yup, but if you do it now, you get it for $149 plus you will also recieve the extra content which wasnt available with moho.
mykyl1966

Post by mykyl1966 »

Excellent Patmals is that an offer to buy it for us? lol.

Cheers

Mike R