GreyKid Pictures

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

blacksunproject

Re: Thanks

Post by blacksunproject »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:Thanks for all your kind words,

We'll post some more scenes from the feature film in the forum as they are completed.

The stuff we are working on at the moment is very exciting.

Can't wait to share it with you guys!
Definitely looking forward to your next examples.
I recently purchase Anime Studio 5 pro and I am having a great time with this software.

Gustavo Pabon
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I'm curious about the 60 Seconds animnation. For that movie, how many different project files did you have to have? How many different copies of character setups and rigs?
Krish

Post by Krish »

Hello everyone,
this is my first post.

I saw the trailer for La Reine Soleil and I am absolutely amazed. The quality is incredible, I can't believe it is done entirely in Anime Studio. I am a convert now! :D

GreyKid, I saw some screenshots of the feature in your website (by the way all your works are amazing).. I have a question about the characters models if you don't mind. Do you have many models for a single character (like a model for walk cycles, a model for close shots, etc..) or only a single - but very very very well designed - model?

The characters are shot from so many different angles and move so easily that it's really difficult to think there is just one single model for character. If that's so, taking my hat off to you guys wouldn't be enough. I would have to remain in underpants at the very least :)

Thank you :)
mykyl1966

Post by mykyl1966 »

Some pretty excellent looking stuff you guys do.
Thanks for showing us.

Cheers

Mike R
BA

Post by BA »

Here's a question for you, GreyKid...

I can tell from your work that lots of work has been put into the puppets, especially the 'reine du soliel' ones, and they must be pretty complex...

I've been building some extremely complex puppets myself, and have found that at a certain level of complexity Moho really starts bogging down, to the point where it's quite slow to pose them, and playback in workview is pretty much impossible... It seems that the more bones you add, the crunchier the program becomes.

Just wondering if you've come across this issue, and if so have you found any workarounds or techniques that help deal with it? My puppet is finally doing exactly what I want it to do, but it's gonna be a royal pain to animate.

I should also point out that I'm using a brand new, extremely fast computer, so processing power certainly isn't the issue.

Any tips? Obviously you've managed to pull off quality animation with complex puppets. Do they move freely in the work view? Is there a threshhold of complexity that one should not attempt to cross?
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Geesh, it seems we leave the forum for a week and get inundated with comments! of course comments are great!

So thanks to you all and here we go...
AllenC wrote:Greykid,Impressive, INDEED! Your studio has certainly set a high standard. Thank you all.

AllenC
Hats off to you Allen, thanks for the praise.
blacksunproject wrote:Definitely looking forward to your next examples. I recently purchase Anime Studio 5 pro and I am having a great time with this software.
We have an awful lot happening here at the moment. We just started work on a second feature and have 2 pilots in production. We hope you have fun with AS 5 pro. It really is a genius piece of software.
wizaerd wrote:I'm curious about the 60 Seconds animnation. For that movie, how many different project files did you have to have? How many different copies of character setups and rigs?
Ahhh, Gone in 60 Seconds. It's a pilot for a 60 episode show (yes we actually wrote 60 gags and turned them into a series of films!)

We generally have one file per scene, I think theres about 24 or 25 scenes in that movie so thats how many files we have. Sometimes we build models seperatly then import them or reuse a model with a slightly different set up. Some scenes do require more than one file sometimes but it depends on the action we use. Generally speaking though it's one per scene. Also the harder the animation the more work files we have, we tend to number files so we don't copy over the last save, our record so far is 265 saves on one scene!

As far as the copies of characters and rigs we tend to use just the one in the scene, we very rarely use switch layers and multiple models. As we said before we like to prep everything done to the last though so there's no surprises when we start to animate.
Krish wrote:Hello everyone, this is my first post. I saw the trailer for La Reine Soleil and I am absolutely amazed. The quality is incredible, I can't believe it is done entirely in Anime Studio. I am a convert now!
We feel honored that you'd give us your first post! Thanks for the compliments.
Krish wrote:Do you have many models for a single character (like a model for walk cycles, a model for close shots, etc..) or only a single - but very very very well designed - model?
The preperation process is the most time consuming and the one which you really should do as best you can. Generally we know before we build models for a scene what the characters will do. With those actions in mind we model TO the action. For example a character that needs to be expresive in face and upper body does not need much attention down below. And vice versa, a model that needs a great walk cycle requires a very good body set up but not much on the head/face. We tend to have a large degree of models for certain shots. Complex in facial animation for close ups etc.

Most models have around 10 set ups depending on the actions needed. Of course the further you go into production the less models you have to build, thats the great thing about this software, the more you do the less you do!

Hope this helps...

We agree with you, leave the underpants on!
mykyl1966 wrote:Some pretty excellent looking stuff you guys do.
Thanks for showing us.
Always a pleasure, never a chore Mike! Thanks for your compliments.
BA wrote:It seems that the more bones you add, the crunchier the program becomes. Just wondering if you've come across this issue, and if so have you found any workarounds or techniques that help deal with it? My puppet is finally doing exactly what I want it to do, but it's gonna be a royal pain to animate.
Our models can be pretty complex but as we said before we tend to minimise as much as we can. We did have a lot of characters in a couple of scenes. We did a shot for the movie which had dancers, a band, drunks and other bar life folk. All at 2k quality with layouts, bg's and over lays. It tended to lag a little then but not because of the amount of bones just because the scene was so frickin' huge!

We tend to work in a very basic mode and then generate a quicktime preview (F5) when we want to see the scene. It usually renders very fast and plays back at the perfect rate. Our machines are quick and competent enough to handle 2k so there are pretty mean little things!

Our advice is to work in the lowests quality mode possible whilst you setup and begin to animate, pop that F5 button and wait for Christmas!

Hope that helps.

Nice talking with you guys.

GK
HotTaco

Post by HotTaco »

I can't WAIT till you guys post some sort of tutorial.
Last edited by HotTaco on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freakish Kid

La Reine Soleil Promo.

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hello all,

So guys heres the latest.

What you are about to view is a promo for the feature we are finishing this week "La Reine Soleil - Queen of the Sun". Based on the famous novel by Christian Jacq.

Many of you may have seen a seqment from sequence 17 that has been on our site for some time.

GreyKid produced 30 minutes of the movie 20 of which were animated in AS 5.

All the animation in the 2 minute promo was produced in Anime Studio. It was a very dificult job cutting scenes that we really wanted to use, we had an original edit at around 7 minutes but ultimatley decided to trim it down and leave viewers wanting more.

The industry has been able to view this for the past few weeks and the compliments and feedback that we've had are very flattering.

So guys... now its your turn! We hope you enjoy it and we really hope it inspires you to aim high and achieve your dreams!

http://www.greykid.com/La_Reine_Soleil

More work will be online before the end of the year. As we said before, we are cooking something up with E-frontier and hope to have it underway sometime in the new year.

GK
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Absolutely fantastic!!!!! Your work and expertise truly is inspirational to a newbie animator like me.

Question--- you said you animated everything in ASP5... Did you make each individual cut scene in ASP5 and assemble them with other software (such as FCP or AE)?

Or did you make each cut scene as an individual ASP5 project, then bring them all into one ASP5 timeline to do the transitions against the sound track?

regards
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Cool stuff man. That's insane work. Must've taken an age to set that all up.

Very, very cool. Unreal, in fact.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Extremely well done, and all done in moho..I can't believe it...very, very good!!
blacksunproject

Awesome

Post by blacksunproject »

Thank you Greykid for the inpiration.
idragosani

Re: La Reine Soleil Promo.

Post by idragosani »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:Hello all,

So guys heres the latest.

What you are about to view is a promo for the feature we are finishing this week "La Reine Soleil - Queen of the Sun". Based on the famous novel by Christian Jacq.
Wow, you certainly have raised the bar...
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx