Outer Glow?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sailor-taurus

Outer Glow?

Post by Sailor-taurus »

Any chance that someone could write a script allowing you to have a glow around your character? I don't see any normal means of doing this, so i'm assuming this is only possible via script.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

There are several ways to do this...

You could use a fill effect on a copy of a layer...

You could use the layer shadow... set the offset or light direction to 0 and change the shadow color.

These are just off the top of my head. There may be other ways.

There is not a "specific" outer glow effect... you have to think outside the box.

-vern
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Well there are several ways to do this. Probably one of the easiest is just to use the Layer Shadows option in the properties panel of a group containing your character.

EDIT: Oops, beat me to it. :)
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Sailor-taurus

Post by Sailor-taurus »

Thx a bunch. ^_^ Works perfectly.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I had another thought about this but I am already at work. :( I was wondering if you nest the character group folder into another group folder if you can create different glow effects by assigning different shadow options to each group. For example

Group1 - Thin darker blue glow
-Group2 - Wide light blue glow lots of blur

Just a random thought ...
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

Another idea, which might be useful, it to duplicate a layer you want to create a glow around, and then blur the bottom layer. This was you could achieve a glow which colors correspond to those of the object glowing. One could also combine this with shadow-glowing, to strengthen the effect.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

bupaje wrote:I had another thought about this but I am already at work. :( I was wondering if you nest the character group folder into another group folder if you can create different glow effects by assigning different shadow options to each group. For example

Group1 - Thin darker blue glow
-Group2 - Wide light blue glow lots of blur

Just a random thought ...
Well... if you apply a glow to the "parent" group... and have each sub group with a glow... the parent group glow is "added" to the sub groups.

If you use the same color it would work okay. For instance as you described... sub groups would have the thinner glow when they overlap other sub group layers.

Just watch out when using funky colors... they tend to get muddy when mixed as you describe.

This is a pretty cool idea though. I see using it to put bold outlines (shadow no offset no blur) around a group of sub groups with a less bold outline.

If the color of the shadow is 100% it will cover the shadow of the parent layer.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

While we're on the topic Real lighting effects would be nice for AS.

D.K