Simple 4 bone 3D head turn part2

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Post by DK »

Hmmm. I don't know what happened there. I've reposted the files.
Here is the anme file.

http://www.wienertoonz.com/DK3DHead2.anme

As you can see the two child bones are now placed on the y axis above and below each other. This allows perfect rotation for each side of the face on the y axis (not like the previous version).
Also there are two small neck bones added to control the two neck points. These are parented to the angle bones. This is such a damn solid model to work with.

Things are still developing and i don't mind sharing this with all of you! Just give me a little credit ;)

Cheers
D.K
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

That's looking very impressive! I worked through your initial tutorial and it's a very easy to follow solution. Thanks for sharing :)
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks for the feedback Amiga. I think as things develop this will get even more powerful as a 3D head turning solution using a minimal bone setup. I will leave adjusting the tutorial till the technique is a little more settled. I have no problem with sharing. I hate it when people post ideas then stop sharing them. This is a community that needs to develop and hiding your ideas/files is merely like sticking your finger in the proverbial dike :) (dike as in water retaining wall) If Muuvist never shared his original discovery none of this would have ever been possible!

Cheers
D.K
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Thanks DK,
very nice indeed :)
DK

Post by DK »

YW. and your feedback is much appreciated Patmals ;)

Cheers
D.K
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Looks GREAT! And such a simple idea (like all the best ideas). Thanks for sharing...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DK

Post by DK »

YW. Thanks Jahnolci :)

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

Wow!
I have to look carefully the anme file. Looks great!

Cheers!
jahnocli wrote:Looks GREAT! And such a simple idea (like all the best ideas). Thanks for sharing...
Yeah!... I'm the complicated one!! :wink:
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Genete wrote:Yeah!... I'm the complicated one!!
Well, your ideas are more subtle- and probably more important...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Hey DK!
I've added a pair of ears to your model. I hope you don't mind.

http://genetita.googlepages.com/DK3DHead2ears.anme

Just duplicate the layer 2 times and add an ear on each layer. Then order them by depth along the time line properly and you can hide or show the ears above or behind the head.
To distort the ears just draw them far away and warp by a strong bone. That bone have a scale keyframe stored at frame 0 (like I do in my tutorials for the springy mechanism) that gives a frontal look to the ear at frame 1 (it was scaled from 1 to 0.25). Then restore the original length of the bone when turn and place it in the correct position.
Image Image Image

Also have fixed some minor issues with the hierarchy. The neck behavior was not symmetrical. Aslo added a true central bone to link all the symmetrical bones (the two big that scale the face and distorts the head, the scaled bones of the face, and the bones of the ears) Now to bend the head right or left you have to manipulate the central one. I think in this way the skeleton is more consistent. Also increased the strength of the big bones of the head to properly distort the head circle.

Also is strongly recommended to store the maximum turns in actions to avoid to have to tune the left or right turn every time. As well as the turn doesn't depend now on the bend now is easier to combine actions together.

The nose is other story ... :wink:

What do you think? Please play with the file to see if it works like you want / need...

Best
Genete

BTW: I love how the head distorts!! it is perfect!!! Those two big bones make a very good job!! scale and rotate a little and that's all!!
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Genete. This is fantastic! I'm sure what we are working on here will become the definitive engine for 2.5D modelling in Anime Studio. This is something I have been wanting to see for years in Anime Studio.
Well done! :)

I would also like to officially name this new technique the "Scale-Turn" technique.

Thanks to Muuvist, Genete and the Forum!

Edit:
THIS IS NOT A FREE FOR ALL. I am sharing these techniques with the forum in good faith and i expect anyone that wants to help develop this idea should post their interest here and share their files freely with ALL MEMBERS.

D.K
Last edited by DK on Mon May 14, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Genete

Post by Genete »

It would be a good thing to make independent the scale of the face form the scale of the head. It will give you more control over the head. Yes, it is more bones but not more complication.

Regarding the nose... would you please draw a nice one to the model... Maybe I have some inspiration then...
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Genete.
Here is a nice sort of nose for you.

http://www.wienertoonz.com/DK3DHDnose.anme

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

Thanks.
He he you draw quicker than I put bones...

Have to go to bed now.... :shock:
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

The simplicity is AWESOME!! Can't wait to give it a try!

Thanks so much for the tutorial, DK -- that took some time. :?

Thanks also to Muuvist, & Genete!!!