Bézier tool

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nimphaea

Bézier tool

Post by Nimphaea »

Hello!

I can't find if there is a way in Moho to manipulate bézier handles. Is there a tool to do this, other than the Adjust Curvature tool? I always want to be very exact with every line and curve I draw... Here is a screenshot from Flash, to see what I mean:

I use it all the time... :)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

There is no way in Moho to manipulate those handles. In Moho, the bezier control handles are adjusted automatically based on surrounding points. Although some people really miss those control handles, we find that when you get to the animation stage, it's easier not to have the extra control points to deal with. Especially when working with bones, having three times the controls points would be very frustrating.
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I guess I will get used to it in time :).
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

is there anyway perhaps add control bezier and switch the control points on/off like how you hide construction curves or something????
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

Or maybe, would it be possible to have ONLY control over them in the first frame (the zero frame I mean by this actually), and not in the rest of the timeline?
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Couldn't you just as easily add more points to your shape to give yourself more control over it?
-Keith
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

Yes, but then it gets a little cluttered. I like clean lines with as less points possible :D. But that may be my Flash background ;)...
spasmodic_cheese

Nimphaea wrote:Yes, but then it gets a little cluttered. I like clean lines with as less points possible :D. But that may be my Flash background ;)...
I think its definatly a flash/web background, i tend to do that as well try and get most optimized clean vectors as possible. I really hate seeing all these points to give me approximate curves of what should only take a few curves to make
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I wasn't thinking in terms of adding a lot more points ... I was thinking you could probably get the right shape without too many extra points if you're careful about where you place them and how you adjust the curvature of each point.

This also may be something too deep into the core of how Moho works for Lost Marble to even consider changing it now, without breaking all kinds of other parts of the program. So it may just be a matter of re-training yourself to solve the problem in a different way ...
-Keith
spasmodic_cheese

yah very true keith, perhaps when moho 5 is relased and the scripting api docs are released we could create some drawing tools to help with curves
perhaps changing the vector angles of two points depending where the mouse is... so you could sorta 'pull' the curves??

ahh well time will tell =)
Manu

Post by Manu »

Lost Marble wrote:There is no way in Moho to manipulate those handles. In Moho, the bezier control handles are adjusted automatically based on surrounding points. Although some people really miss those control handles, we find that when you get to the animation stage, it's easier not to have the extra control points to deal with. Especially when working with bones, having three times the controls points would be very frustrating.
I understand that, but the sad fact is that it is really difficult to get nice fluid shapes in Moho, you can always see where the control-points are in most models that I see in the Moho gallery. Any circle that I import from illustrator looks like a potatoe. The only way around that is to create models with an enormous amount of points.

Would it be possible to add something like NURBS? They should give much nicer results than the handicapped beziers and still use a minimum of control-points.