Creating and animating speed lines

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Stephen X

Creating and animating speed lines

Post by Stephen X »

Alright kidees, what do you know? I take it Anime studio doesn't have a fast down and dirty function like Manga Studio. Has anyone tackled speed lines?

Thanks for any and all help
S:)
Last edited by Stephen X on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Generally speed lines aren't needed in animation - OK, other than in some Anime ... They are a part of printed-comic language, but since they are a substitute for movement, they shouldn't be needed when you in fact move things.

What's needed is the ability to "smear" a movement. But I think this would be really hard to achieve with AS' tools only. Examples for this should be easy to find in the classical Chuck Jones films, especially with Duffy. ("Duck Amuck" comes to mind.)

Another way to substitute for the motion blur of life action can be seen here: http://classicanimation.blogspot.com/20 ... -work.html. I studied those examples in awe. This guy's technique is really uniqe! Anybody feels able to translate this into AS?
Stephen X

Post by Stephen X »

thanks for your response. I was just wondering if someone found a way to do speed lines easily like in a powerpuff girl's fight scene.

Thanks all!
Stephen
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

There is some abandonware called "Expression" -- you could do speed lines quite easily in that (vector too) -- Google for it; I think it was made by Creature House, and then got bought up by Microsoft...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Stephen X

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Stephen X »

Good insight. I never thought of using Expression. I had it and Living Cels on my computer FOREVER with the thought of using it. Well, you know how that works out. So is there a quick effect or tool to use?

Thanks for responding! I swear I could get the meaning of life explained with supporting files on this forum.

S:)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

They explain how to do speed lines in the Help files that come with the program...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
VidE

Post by VidE »

Stephen, I noticed you referred to (and still have?) Living Cels. Me too. If Mohos' & Mike's bones and animation abilities could have been mixed with Living Cels' drawing and animation tools....WOW!

I got the downloadable demo of Living Cels during the two weeks it was available, before MS bought out Creature House. Apparently, and this seemed evident int the forum posts at the time, Living Cels was simply dumped. What a loss!!!!! LC does only point level animation, no bones, though it can move and reframe multiple cameras, it does have cycling, etc.

But its drawing tools leave Flash, AS Pro and, for me, (working in video and not print), it left Illustrator behind as well. I still use it quite a lot. And, knowing MS's usual bent, I never see it coming back. (BIG Sigh !)