Good blurring tutorial?

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

touchdown

Good blurring tutorial?

Post by touchdown »

Is there a thread or tutorial that discusses how to really set the blur settings?

Thanks,

td
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Its pretty simple. Double-click the layer and select the blur amount. You can also set blur keyframes. Go to SETTINGS and make sure the BLUE is selected as a timeline feature. Then put your timeline marker at frame 5, set a keyframe for that, then move to frame 100 and set another blur setting. The blur will occur gradually between frame 5 and 100.
bartender

Post by bartender »

i dont know about you but when i use the blur over like say 30 frames, when i render it the blur never looks right, it always blurs mostly on the last 5 frames, and doesnt look like a camera focus at all. One of my few complaints about the program is this feature doesnt quite work right... and i think i tried using linear keyframing rather than smooth and the same thing
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Of course a blur doesn't look like a camera out of focus - it's an entirely different effect. For the most effects this doesn't matter, but if you really want to emulate that you need some more effort.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

I believe what bartender means is that it does not have that "smudge effect" found in 3d packages like 3dsmax when applying blur to an object. instead it looks more like a trail effect. may have to do with it being vector as opposed to a raster image. I may be wrong since its really theory at this point, but messing with blur, tightening the blur transitions between key frames or even adding a touch of off focus to that channel may emulate what your looking for. I will have to mess with that myself.
Last edited by Nucleus on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Genete posted a topic on this that may shed light on your subject.
viewtopic.php?t=8222
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

edited

done using 10% blur (not motion blur) at the middle of the transition and ramping back to 0% at full stop. I also stretched the object a bit at the blur point.
Last edited by Nucleus on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Queso"
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Nucleus wrote:http://mysite.verizon.net/gustavoguzman/motion_blur.zip

done using 10% blur (not motion blur) at the middle of the transition and ramping back to 0% at full stop. I also stretched the object a bit at the blur point.
Looks good, nicely done! :wink:
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

thanks. :)

50% of AS is technique. perhaps a moho guru can script something similar to create a good blur when images increase in speed. only way i could see it working is if the first frame was omitted leaving only the blurred frames beneath it to simulate the effect. I'm more than certain Greykid coded something to produce the motion blur effect. perhaps adding another transition in front so that the image is enveloped in a trail of blurring on either end instead of just at the end. because honestly, the trailing effect alone just doesn't cut it.
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

edited
Last edited by Nucleus on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Queso"
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Wow, quite cool! :)
~Danimal
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

Sank yew vedy mush.

One last thought would be to use masks or switch layers to conceal the key areas where blur will occur then only show a blurred copy of that section when that area is moving rapidly. like i mentioned before, its mostly technique. spend enough time goofing around with it, and you'll make your own.
"Queso"
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Nice experiments Nucleus!

unfortunately when you try complex character movement with limbs flying in all directions i fear this technique would be completely unmanageable... you'd have to manually morph the shapes in their movement arcs... it would probably quadruple your workload over using a plugin like ReelSmart motion blur.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

funksmaname wrote:Nice experiments Nucleus!

unfortunately when you try complex character movement with limbs flying in all directions i fear this technique would be completely unmanageable... you'd have to manually morph the shapes in their movement arcs... it would probably quadruple your workload over using a plugin like ReelSmart motion blur.
Although my ball animation did use a bit of morphing, the wing animation did not. the difference between blur in Moho and that of Reelsmart for budding animators are about $200 dollars for 1 effect and lets not even get into packages like Aftereffects and Combustion. well, being an vector art purist in Moho may have to do with it as well. ;) and although your point is indeed a logical one, I personally like to squeeze every bit out of my software before resorting to 3rd party. besides, experimentation is half the fun. If i can do it here, I will.
"Queso"
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

http://mysite.verizon.net/gustavoguzman/moho.html

updated link with a few downloadable examples using blur.
Last edited by Nucleus on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Queso"