Rigged Character - Body Below Table - Hands above

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Johnny

Rigged Character - Body Below Table - Hands above

Post by Johnny »

Okay, I'm stumped.

I've been messing with layer order, groups, depth sorting... the whole bit, but I can't figure out how to get my rigged character so their body is below a table and their arms are in front of the table.

In After Effects, I'd be able to parent layers, so splitting up bones wouldn't be a problem - If I move one set, the other moves. Is there any way to do this in ASP?

I don't really want to manually move the arms on a upper layer to catch up with the body if I choose to move it.

Thoughts?

-Johnny
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Really the only way to do this is to put the table layer inside the body rig between the arms and the body.

The trick then is to just "unbind" the table so the bones don't influence it or bind the table to a "table bone".

I did a series of animations of an announcer behind a desk. This method worked very well. I was still able to animate the character using the rig.

-vern
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Awesome - thanks Vern!

Hypothetically speaking... what if it was two characters and a table?

-Johnny
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Then you go dutch.

<SCNR>
You split wisely ... maybe having everything from the shoulders upwards over the table (arms, head).
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

slowtiger wrote:Then you go dutch.
touché

;)

-Johnny
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I had a situation with 2 characters on either side of a bar. The view was from the end of the bar. The problem was that sometimes one character had arms over the bar body behind it and the other character visa versa.

This was tricky one so I had to create multiple "bars" or "tables". I split the bar down the middle... putting half in one characters bone folder and half in the other. I had to make sure though that the arms of of one of the characters didn't pass over the split or his hands would vanish under the half of the bar above it.

The two halves of the bar matched perfectly so there was no seam.

It's been awhile and I don't have the file right in front of me. It was a bit of a tricky set up because of some of the hand and arm movements moving over and under the bar. I had to use some masking.

The basic idea though was splitting the table in half.

EDIT:

Just remembered... you don't have to split it in half for both characters, just the one on top since that one would cover only the lower character.

-vern
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

You Rock, Vern.

Thanks again.

-Johnny
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

For those of you who work within a production pipeline: it's possible to just animate as if the table wasn't there and leave the "shape ordering" to the people who do compositing. Sometimes it's faster to just render two or more versions of a scene, like one version with the character, one with just his arm over a transparent background, and combine the resulting files in any compositing program. Those programs are easier to handle when it comes to masks or erasing stuff which shouldn't be visible, than the masking in AS.