How many of you are paid animators?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AlanPS

How many of you are paid animators?

Post by AlanPS »

I've always looked at these forums and seen all the Work for Free requests bull-oney, and I often like to read your responses because obviously a lot of you know what you're talking about (and thanks for scaring off the lazy people who expect us to do their work for them).

So apparently some of you actually are paid professional animators, right? Can you guys help me get something going on? I'm tired of working at a restaurant when I have a degree in multimedia. I'm not super-pro quality yet but man, I think my work is certainly worth making money with.

The only finished thing I have so far is an animated music video I did for a co-worker (for free) to give him and myself some exposure, plus learn some experience, which I did- He didn't even ask me to do it, I just wanted to cuz I liked his music. Now it did take time- since I designed/animated everything- roughly four minutes working in my sparest of spare time took about 6 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2jXuK6ZmU

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=35633450

Any help would be appreciated. There is one catch, I do have some strong religious convictions so I don't want to do content that I consider distasteful/immoral, which I know will limit me, but I'm okay with that, cuz I have faith that there are creative people who can tell an actual good story without "going there". Thanks.
Last edited by AlanPS on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

What kind of help are you looking for exactly?
AlanPS

work

Post by AlanPS »

I'm really trying to get my foot in the door in the way of getting paid to do work. I don't know if anybody here has so much work that they can toss some my way- piddly jobs that an amateur like me can do.

I love character design, it is my absolute favorite. My backgrounds are pretty weak, and I have a lot to learn about color. I am a compulsive switch-layer user- I have pretty much given up bones, though I know I may need them eventually.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Well if you're looking for work, there's always animation contest. I think mytoons.com has one going now but ends Sept. 4.

But to get some other work you could create a demo reel. Something that just shows what you're capable of. Having something like that handy helps when some one here or else where post that they're looking for an animator. That way you have something to show.

As for bones, don't give up just yet. Bones are awesome. Here's a simple bone tutorial I made that could get you started, http://www.flashpulse.com/video/animestudio_bones.html

And I did view your animation above. It was alright. Not really my kind of music, so I can't say how I would have gone about animating something to it.

And if a story is hard for you to create (I have this issue myself) you can always re-create. Like a fairy tale or something. This would at least show your talent.

Also, when creating audio, don't forget to normalize your samples. Also using effects such as gates, compression and so forth. Having decent audio always helps viewing animations.

Hope this helps some. ;)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Your video shows that you can handle some programs, but frankly, it's not very imaginative, clever design, or really good animation. I'd recommend you to do more life drawing and study animation design in deep, if that's the direction you want to go. Otherwise it's an option that you team up with some people who have the skills you still need to develop. Right now the technical stuff is your strongest talent, so think about offering your service to people who have the ideas but cannot execute them.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I tell you one thing... I bought Moho a few years ago... and recently got my first couple of jobs because of learning it inside and out. My scripting skills are finally paying off as well. I was able to cut production time by at least 70-80% on one project by writing some tools and scripts. Instead of hours to do repetitive monotonous tasks, now it's just one click baby... one freaking click and I do in seconds what was going to take me at least an hour or more each for 25 files.

Another small job I got recently BECAUSE of AS was doing rigging for someone else's character design. It turned out great. That is how I came up with that funky springy joint rig.

To get into "this business" you don't always have to be an animator. I've found there are many areas you can specialize in. Learning to be proficient with the software is sometimes a tiny bit easier than animating.

-vern
dm

Post by dm »

If you love character design, you should design some characters. They don't even have to do anything, just draw them. You need to show that you can do something. Didn't you do anything to get that degree in multimedia? (samples of work, I mean). What do you have to offer for being employed?

I don't think there are too many people who would hire you to learn on the job, at least not without you showing that you offer something profitable to them.

From what I saw, your characters don't move with the beat. They're in some other time frame, that doesn't go with the music.

So, one last time, what do you have to offer?

good luck.
AlanPS

yep yep

Post by AlanPS »

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I really did focus on moving my character with the beat (kick and snare), I actually had to change walk cycles occasionally because the tempo of the song did not quite line up with 24fps (maybe I should have changed the frame rate)
Also I think the writer of the song may have occasionally added or omitted a beat here and there in the typical 4/4 structure- so it was a major challenge- but I stuck with using his kick/snare as the focus.
Of course I should have stuck with Walt Disney's idea (just don't remember the actual formula) where you're supposed to execute the walk a couple frames before the beat I think.
I guess I could finish some characters and post them.
Thanks for the advice.
dm

Post by dm »

Two frames is typical, but needs adjusting on occasion. It's because you see things before you hear them (lightning comes first, then you hear the thunder).

I thought your characters needed to be more dynamic. It's a cartoon. You might read up on animation. (anticipation, action, follow through). When you dance, it's not just hitting beats, there's rhythm, and lots of 'inbetweens' and 'extremes'.

Animation isn't about software, it's an art and a craft. When I hire animators, it's because they are good animators. When someone hires me, I think it's for the same reason.

-dm
AlanPS

???

Post by AlanPS »

And that had what to do with what?

Anyways, I've decided to take a different approach to animation until I'm better. Right now a friend and I are developing Flash games. And believe it or not the animation is actually good- cuz it's game-oriented. When I've built up my skills there maybe I'll be ready to tackle something more serious.