2D Character Designer / Animator needed

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

animprodco

2D Character Designer / Animator needed

Post by animprodco »

Needed: 2D Animated Character Designer for short tv pilot to pitch to certain networks. Already have a couple others aboard but need one more to round out team.

Twisted humor.

2D, with limited movement.

you be:
+very creative, that can take direction, yet also think for and express themselves in the work.
+work from home
+experienced at creating characters themselves (everywhere from the first mock-up sketch down to creating elements and kits).
+some experience in putting together animation in general a plus+
+creating backgrounds a plus+.
+in the U.S.

Only reply if you are available now or soon, and can undertake a small non-paid project. If picked up series will be paid work.

Please reply with your resume and links to online samples.

NO OTHER POSITIONS AT THIS TIME
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

As this is the umpteenth request this year for animators who don't need money, I'd like to quote a bit from Gene Deitch about "working on spec", that is, for free, for nothing, unpaid.

5. Working on spec: - free, that is - may seem necessary under some circumstances, but respect for your work goes down as your willingness to work for nothing goes up. There should always be compensation in there somewhere, minimally retention of the rights to your adaptation.

7. Pilots: Many producers will want you to make the pilot for a series cheaper, with the promise that the actual production episodes will pay you more. The problem with this idea is that pilots are the most difficult episodes, with all of the basic story problems and characters to be worked out. Pilots should rate a higher budget, not only for those reasons, but also because a pilot film, sadly, is all too often the only film to be produced!

(The whole article can be found here: http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=colu ... 113&page=1)
Last edited by slowtiger on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

huggggg!!!!

Not another one.

You got no art work.

You got no scripts.

You got no paying outlet.

The last one of these post had a least a web comic. BUT when the requester found out how much trouble it is to get the voice work and editing done, he disappeared.

animprodco because you do not know how time consuming animation can be let me point you to my latest Youtube work. Approximately 8 hours of my time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0G7g7cF_3s

Dude, its only 17 seconds long and you want someone to create characters, backgrounds, edit??? for free???

Good Luck

Dale
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to do a creative project with no money and looking for like minded people to do the same. I've started projects like this, I've participated in projects like this.

The key is you need to find people who are inspired by the same idea. You need to find people who share the same interests and the same dedication to the project. Volunteer projects fail 99% of the time. They just hardly ever get done, unless there is someone who is ALWAYS working on it even after all the volunteers have quit or gotten burned out.

Promises of FUTURE payment IS NOT payment, and never is, and never will be. Don't even mention money, ever, unless there is a budget, then you would have contracts and NDA's.

These volunteer projects, if they ever get completed, NEVER make money. The ONLY SINGLE motivation to get it done MUST BE a love of the work you are doing without ANY expectations of making money. If you are only doing this to MAKE MONEY you are barking up the wrong tree. The art must come first. The art or the unique concept. So unique it inspires others.

So you see the disconnect? Why would anyone talented enough, skilled enough work on YOUR project for free when there is no motivation? None zero, zippo, nadda. You need to INSPIRE people to work for free.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm not saying you're a jerk for wanting to try it. I'm just saying that you need to be an inspiration. YOU need to do MOST OF THE WORK. You need to get the ball rolling and keep it rolling even when no one has joined up or everyone has quit. You need to show something up front that will kick start the creative juices.

-vern
chucky

Post by chucky »

There's an old legend or fable about a dwarf and a giant.
To cut a longer story short and if I remember correctly, the dwarf convinces the giant to fill a well with his own blood for some altruistic purpose.
Unfortunately the well is met at its depths by an outlet to the sea, so the giant bleeds to death and achieves nothing.

That's what it's like to agree to this kind of thing, in my experience.
( no I'm not selling internet gold, :wink: )
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

( no I'm not selling internet gold, Wink )
:lol: Now that you mention it....

Yeah, these kind of posts usually seem to be from some self-proclaimed Project Manager who may have some editing experience. I don't know, perhaps editing is a bigger job in film projects. I just don't think these people have any real idea what they're asking for.

In animation the animator is the default physical actors, director, editor,....and probably many more jobs than I can't think of at the moment.

If you're serious about this (work on spec), you don't approach an animator without a finished, final script, full storyboard, dialog and sound effects, final character designs. Otherwise, you're just basically asking to take credit for the animator's work, and the animator would be better off just starting his own project.

Unless you can get someone passionate about the project. But once again, the animator is the only one who holds an animation project together.
velu

Re: 2D Character Designer / Animator needed

Post by velu »

Dear Sir,

Please check this link

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4YiWu-LoM
I love Moho
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

You did that in 4 hours? Does it include the time for character development also?
"and then Man created god!"
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hmm...working for free. Hmm...

Bring something more to the table and you might get some more bites. You're putting a fishing line into the ocean without a hook nor bait, with just a note on the end of the line saying 'you must be a fish, be so big, and be tasty.'

more hooks, more hooks.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

There is an old saying "working for free doesn't pay".

People requesting assistance on projects should consider this: THere has to be some kind of formal arrangement on projects and co-ops.

If you don't, legally you'll face heaps of problems: Look at the end of the pilot build. Someone has created all the characters and look for you, animation done. You go to the broadcaster with the project ... they love it. First thing they will want to know is do you hold All Rights. At that stage you realize you're f****d because you don't - unless the designer signed over his/her copyright and no-one in their right mind would do that for free. At that stage, the designer has you by the sensitive bits.

POsters need to think this out properly before they request assistance otherwise they waste everyone's time, their included. By all means work in co-ops but be professional about it.

Word of extreme caution to anyone signing up to back-end percentage agreements on co-ops/work-now-pay-from-profits-later.

NEVER EVER SIGN A NET % AGREEMENT!

Sorry for shouting but it really is important. The reason is no film has ever made a net profit, the accountants see to that. Its why films are quoted as grossed $35million. If you sign 10% of net, you get 10% of $0.00. Gross profit agreements only are signed. I thought people were wise to this - I mentioned this at a producers meeting recently - one guy went very pale ... he was sitting on a 20% net distribution agreement.

I hope no-one here has just gone pale.

Rhoel