Problems with Papagayo

Discuss Papagayo issues here

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Mike McGrane

Problems with Papagayo

Post by Mike McGrane »

Just bought Anime Studio Pro. Downloaded Papagayo again! Have Windows Vista OS. Nothing works. Can't re-record sound files, original sound files not recognized. Won't recognize .dat files. Have several sound editing programs. Sound Forge and Dan Dans Music editing Master. Nothing works. Could someone please advise. THis whole lip syncing thing is beyond exasperating.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Welcome to the forums.

You might have to be a little more specific. Papagayo doesn't "recognize" .DAT files. The .DAT files are produced by it. You load them into AS (into a lipsync switch layer). If you're saying that when you go into AS and try and load one of the files (by doubleclicking the switch layer) and choose a .DAT file and AS doesn't recognize it that's another issue.

And the same goes for "Papagayo not recognizing sound files" -- you mean you can't load in a file, or can't find it in the file finder?

And recording files -- you can't record files with either Papagayo or AS -- can you tell us how you are trying to do this?

It would really help if you just walked through a very specific set of things you are doing, at the very lowest level, so we could understand what's happening. For example, if I am using Papagayo, I go to File/Open and Papagayo shows me a list of any .WAV and/or .PGO files (the format it will save it's own files) I can load. Can you not see anything there no matter where you point the directory to? And does your directory (using Explorer) have .WAV and/or .PGO files stored there (they will need that extension, and you may have to enable Explorer so it shows you the files extensions).
Mike McGrane

papagayo

Post by Mike McGrane »

Hi just sent a private message. I appreciate your help. Started reading through the other messages boards, about file placement, formatting and image size. I am starting to see some of my mistakes. Will, keep going. and keep you updated. Thanks, Mike
marv

I'm having a problem.

Post by marv »

I went and did my set-up through Papa. Exported after adding all my touches. I go to AS and then go to my switch layer which has 3 different mouths in it. I select the Papa set-up. But,when I go to import soundtrack I don't see or am not allowed to select the same Papa set-up, only the original audio I had reworked in Papa. So I select the audio track in AS. The mouth doesn't move at all. What the heck am I doing wrong? If I select the audio track in my switch layer the mouths move, but barely. It doesn't seem to pick up the words properly.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Importing a soundtrack is just that -- imports an audio file for you to use as your background or soundtrack. It has nothing to do with lip sync at all.

To do lip sync you open up the SWITCH LAYER and go to the SWITCH tab on that layer and load in the .DAT file that Papagayo has produced, which will control the mouth positions.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Have Windows Vista OS. Nothing works
Ya, I know the feeling.

AS and Papagayo work with Vista. But my Vista computer has so manny problems that it might be your computer.

Dale
Last edited by dueyftw on Sat May 02, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
marv

hell.o

Post by marv »

Could you tell me specifically "where" in Papa can I find this DAT file? I've gone into AS, went to my switch layer, hit the source tab, went through Papa, yet in all the folders I see NO selectable dat files. Now, I can get the Papa mouths to come up, but, I want to use my own animation with the mouths, not Papa's. Thanks for your time.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Once you have done all the work of aligning the phonics with the sound track in Papagayo. The next step is to export voice. When you save it. That is the dat file. Now you need have the AS switch layer to point it.

Dale
marv

Post by marv »

So, do you have to use the 10 seperate phonic vector layers then too, under the switch layer, with your own animation. Is there a way to import your animated images or vectors into PAPA. So you know how your final will work?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You don't have to use all the phonemes but if you don't then those that are missing I think are replaced with the "rest" mouth shape. Papagayo uses the 10 shapes to create the words spoken. If any are missing you would either have to fix them in AS or delete those phonemes in Papagayo.

I think there is a way to load your own mouth shapes into papagayo. I forget the exact process at the moment but there should be some documentation somewhere about it.

I don't really concern myself too much with the preview in Papagayo. I test how it looks in AS while I'm creating the phonemes. When I work in Papagayo the included mouth shapes are enough for me to judge how it looks. Plus it's simple enough to load the dat file in AS to do quick tests. But that's just me.

-vern
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I would use Papagayo as just the start of lip sync. The mouth along with eyes should have some expressions.

Dale
marv

Post by marv »

Hey thanks so very much guys...This is really helping me out. Now, does anyone here have any problems with the quality of the recording there getting. I'm recording with a $10 mic which may be the problem, and doing my editing with NERO software before bringing it into PAPA, but, I'm getting alot of "noise" in the quality of recording. Anyone have any experience with this. Thanks again....
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

What kind of noise?

If you are using a cheap microphone plugged directly into your computer that's probably the problem right there. Most onboard sound cards are indeed "noisy" and can pick up all kinds of hum and hiss. No one I know who does any commercial recording would use anything other than a very high end sound card coupled with a quality microphone at the very least.

Although I do have an M-Audio card in one of my workstations, I like using the Zoom H2 far better. For under $200 it solves both the microphone as well as recording end and does it with stereo and even surround sound if you like. Here's a little writeup on it:

http://kelleytoons.blogspot.com/2009/05 ... round.html

That should solve any and all sound issues.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I use a free program called Wave pad. I can cut out the silence in front and the back of clips. Pulse it has noise reduction where you can set the db level. Very handy for cheap mike hiss.

Dale