spaceship made with poses

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

spaceship made with poses

Post by Víctor Paredes »

based on the amazing technology of poses :roll: (that you can follow on this topic) I made this pseudo 3d spaceship traveling the universe.
Video here
For them who doesn't know what poses script is, I explain it. Using this script you can control a character just moving one bone. So, the 3d effect of the spaceship is made just with 3 keyframes on one bone. It's similar to single frame actions, but with a big plus, you can create intermediate poses between two or more positions. So you have not just "ship turned left", ship turned right" and "ship centered", you have all the gamma of positions which can be generated between them (and just moving a single bone!).
Here is the anme file, if some one want to see it.
pd: the spaceship was made using several layers, but the script works slower with many layers, so I reduce it to one.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow, awesome work, Selgin! Interesting to see how you managed the shape order on a single layer.
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

That was rly great trick, i wonder how much time it took to discover it :roll: and haven't seen anyone using it either, r there any tut. :D or we haf to rely on our own very liddle knowledge to do it?
Visit: My blog
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

It looked like it could have been fixed a little with some point animation, like when the glare comes off of the main part, but that's still one of the best psuedo 3d thing I've seen in AS. That GIF is kinda addictive to watch go back and forth... imagine the duck thing in it!
ImageImage
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Impressive work, selgin.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This is great. What I really like about it, which will sound strange coming from me, is that it isn't "perfect". It doesn't have that "perfect" 3D look. It looks more "hand done". 3D in 2D often sticks out. This has just enough 3D to create the illusion but not so much that you say "oh yeah... 3D".

Yeehaa! Squish the shapes to "hide" them! I'm not the only one who has used that trick! Use to do it all the time when I used switch layers for head turns. Dang ears are VERY hard to squish. ;)

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you all. It was much easier with the 3 key poses previously draw by the designer I'm working. I think it gives the spaceship that 2d looks which vern refers (which I like too. I don't like when something looks too 3d in a 2d world, which is a cliché in several animated series and movies today), it's actually the transition between 3 draws, no the mathematical calculate on a theoretical 3d world.
heyvern wrote:Yeehaa! Squish the shapes to "hide" them! I'm not the only one who has used that trick! Use to do it all the time when I used switch layers for head turns. Dang ears are VERY hard to squish. ;)
It's the first time I use that technique, I thought I "invented" it, but I should supposed somebody like you did this before, it's so obvious... :roll:
TheChewanater wrote:It looked like it could have been fixed a little with some point animation, like when the glare comes off of the main part
Yes, you are right. I tried to solve it adding a new pose between side and right view, but it didn't work as good as I would wish it. I think that shine needs a reorder of its points on each pose, maybe the place each point uses on each pose is not the best for the tranformation.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

OOOOOO! I want one, lol. Nice work selgin! ;)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

MAN that's sexy. Awesome Selgin.