Why no comments or advice?

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Clarence Norty

Why no comments or advice?

Post by Clarence Norty »

Ive posted a few items and am a noob and never get no feedback or comments...Im a little perturbed as even though im not a pro animator like a lot of talented souls on here it makes me feel disheartened that a forum made for animators haven't given me much encouragement or advice....I dont know why really..i have a good sense of humour.

Its not really animation...just stupid i guess...but if i can make people laugh thats all that matters to me

http://www.youtube.com/user/qbassjunkee

Im a musician and Dance producer and have done it for years but have allways been in to Art and drawing - Ive never had such a laugh (me and my friends doing stupid voices is just funny - big South park fan).... any1 want get involved in Norty inc or need original music for there animation give me a PM
Durand

Post by Durand »

My initial reaction to your monkey video was "Oh no not another of these Star Wars spoof, rolling titles. "It goes for almost 1.5 minutes! I know this should be hillarious in itself, (these sort of things used to be) but I just dont have the ability to concentrate that long any more.

Sorry I have to cut this short.. I've lost concentration! I'll get back to you.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Clarence,

In the first place, the few things I've seen you post have nothing to do with AS -- you're not going to get any feedback here about anything else (now, to be far, I didn't look at the Monkey Star Wars takeoff all the way through, because it was way too boring, but at least the first three minutes or so weren't done using AS for any animation).

I *did* see a two or three second short animation you said you were going to use as an intro to your stuff, but it's *way* too short to make any comments on.

And while I haven't reviewed all your posts, the general trend doesn't seem like you are asking for any advice. It's very unlikely that if you do so you won't get any -- people aren't shy here about expressing opinions.

My own particular advice to you would be to at least use a spell checker or have someone else review all your work -- I don't know if English is your second language, but you misspell and misuse even very common words (there are misspellings in those Star War titles, for example). Nothing will say "amateur" more quickly than someone who can't express themselves well (which isn't to say that everyone needs to be able to speak and write English correctly, but if you can't it would behoove you to use an editor who can). One very tiny example is that by saying you "never get no feedback" you are actually saying you GET feedback (it's a double negative -- if you don't understand this get a friend who does to explain it to you).
Clarence Norty

Post by Clarence Norty »

I spent hours drawing the ATAT - Scout walker, tie fighter and xwing...and animated them..put bones in them IN AS but had no comments - nothing, as for the clarence Norty Vid...It was made for a laugh as i set up a facebook page for him and people were asking who he was so if you watch it its his life so far...NOT SERIOUS....Spelling mistakes are a error and iM sorry for that but if you were to get past the Star wars bit it really is quite funny...or atleast everyone that has watched it in my town thinks its hilarious.

The norty inc vidz were made in AS and i used it to animate the wizard of OZ.

And this is as well

http://www.4shared.com/file/91628851/85 ... tball.html

Sorry but ive seen shorter animations with more feedback...My norty Inc animations are for the start of my videos...like any production company...

Not ment to be A feature length animation...anyway im a noob like I said... I play a mean guitar and make FAT BASSLINES... just trying another creative flair...HATERS
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Here's why no comments.

First your Star Wars stuff was great, but then you had some weird agenda about getting people to help you amass more of these. Agenda = no comment. Much like spam.

The next thing you post is some monkey nonsense that had very very little, if anything, to do with AS. Nothing so far looks like any sort of a serious animation attempt. BTW, the scout walker had parts of its legs bending the wrong way.

So the only thing I take from all of this is that:

1. You put a lot of work into models if you think you can trade to save further work.

2. You do not seem to be interested in putting any serious labor into your animation efforts. (So advise would most likely be wasted.)

Let's see a proper walk cycle, or anything which shows some small amount of dedication. IOW, you get what you put in. Why not share one of your models instead of instantly wanting to profit from it? This is a community of mutual contribution.

:roll:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

And it is considered very rude to double post and especially double post in someone else' topic. In just doesn't seem like you care to be a part of this community. You just want your obligatory pat on the back and award for participation.

:evil:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Here's the scoop...

We all want recognition. Every single person on this forum who has posted a sample of their work has waited to hear the response. All of us have also felt that tiny bit of appointment when something we slaved over is ignored.

The trick is to never actually ask "Why is no one saying how great this stuff is?"

Once you do that it changes the mood. Even if we missed it (I did) and would have wanted to comment... now I feel like I'm being scolded because I didn't do something. Also I am looking at your work with a different perspective... he is begging for recognition... is his work worthy of my attention?

The trick is don't post your work expecting a response. Post it to share it. That's it. Don't sit around waiting for praise. Your motivation should be the joy of creation... not the head rush of praise... that's just a bonus if you are lucky enough to get it.

With the total and complete "sensory overload" of internet content there isn't time in the day to comment on every single thing we look at. When you sound annoyed that no one is jumping up and down over your creations... you come across as spoiled and whiny... annoying.

p.s. By the way... ignoring the search for praise... pretending it never happened... I really enjoyed some of those clips on your Youtube channel. Especially your cinematic approach to using stills mixed with video. The cutting, editing and timing is very well done. Keep it up. Just because we all don't have the time to comment doesn't mean you stuff is "bad".

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I will give you some feedback about that last link you posted. As Wes said, the legs bend backwards and that's part of why it isn't very convincing but also they seem to behave very oddly after the kick. There is no feel of motion or weight to the whole thing -- you can get away with this if you aren't trying to be at all logical, but if you use a realistic background like you've done then making the walker animation look preposterous just doesn't appear funny at all -- very amateurish looking.

If I were you I'd learn how to do a basic walk cycle from any one of the dozens of quality animation books out there. It will be easier if you use a human type character (easier for you, that is, until you learn) but you can use your Star Wars models if you prefer. After that your efforts will be improved greatly.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Aaah! recognition! I remember my first animation with Anime Studio (Moho those days). It was very bad executed from the point of view of animation but it had a small point that made it worth to see: it told something.
So if the animation doesn't tells anything and also the execution is fair (not neccesarily bad) I won't expect so much recognition there. I don't mean that they doesn't because I've seen only one (the monkey with the knife)

I want recognition too. But the recognition is the result of that you have moved the soul of the person who watched the animation. To open the interest of others the animation would have a magic ingredient: innovation.

And of course never, never, ever ask for a comment unless you really need help to achieve something or arent really satisfied with the result and need some wise advise from the experts. Just say: "I hope you liked it". Share the files in the last case (help needed) is the best of the practices.

Put a lot of effort in doing an animation or make a long one doesn't mean you have to have recognition. I've seen lots of good animations (thechincally) but they didn't move my mind. They were just boring.

So, at the end, no comments is really a feedback, specially from this hiperactive forum.
-G
Clarence Norty

Post by Clarence Norty »

I had a few Jars last night...Thanks for the feedback...I was just trying to ask people to get involved with the star wars thing...yes I havnt got time to do it all myself (SOuthpark, simpsons ect has a huge team of animators), never thought Id get that response...took hours to do and trading is what i do on the music side...NO Agenda...anyway Ive been using Anime for 6 months...I have a child, girlfriend ans a job so if i can save time by asking people to get involved then so be it...

Sorry if i double posted... I posted it there 1st and forgot to delete after copying it in new post...I was aware of it and then was distracted...
Clarence Norty

Post by Clarence Norty »

mkelley wrote:I will give you some feedback about that last link you posted. As Wes said, the legs bend backwards and that's part of why it isn't very convincing but also they seem to behave very oddly after the kick. There is no feel of motion or weight to the whole thing -- you can get away with this if you aren't trying to be at all logical, but if you use a realistic background like you've done then making the walker animation look preposterous just doesn't appear funny at all -- very amateurish looking.

If I were you I'd learn how to do a basic walk cycle from any one of the dozens of quality animation books out there. It will be easier if you use a human type character (easier for you, that is, until you learn) but you can use your Star Wars models if you prefer. After that your efforts will be improved greatly.
I was just testing Bones....Never used them before
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

A number of people in this thread have made comments; what about trying to incorporate these into your work and posting an edited version?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Another thing to make note of...

... no one really cares how much work you put into something. We ALL know how much work ANYTHING creative can be. Lots of us slave away for endless hours because we love this stuff. You comment on the time to give a clue to others as to what is involved not to "guilt" people into appreciating it just because it took a long time.

If you were working hard for hours and hours EXPECTING a huge response to justify the effort... big mistake. Your first motivation is the obsessive drive to be creative... everything else is just gravy.

-vern
sinclair

Post by sinclair »

I posted a few times and really didn't get any response. So I read other threads in the forums and then read more threads and I gave feedback to the threads that I could give honest feed back too before starting a thread of my own-

It's all about sharing-

like this right here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D7pRla5NM8

Great stuff-

K-
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Hey!! That's what I want!!
synthsin75 wrote:And it is considered very rude to double post and especially double post in someone else' topic. In just doesn't seem like you care to be a part of this community. You just want your obligatory pat on the back and award for participation.

:evil: