Animated Series Help using Anime - Need a Quote

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

angelamusica

Animated Series Help using Anime - Need a Quote

Post by angelamusica »

Hi,
I want to create an animated series using anime studio and I need to create a budget. So my question is how much would it cost to hire someone to create it? I have started it and it's more like South Park as far as level of difficulty than anything else. They use Maya now so I mean early South Park. The characters are on this page http://www.kipopkins.com - Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place, I need an estimate really. You can post here or write me at amcalegri@yahoo.com.

Thanks! :D
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

It all depends on the level of difficulty. If you're saying it pretty basic stuff, you can find someone to do it for as little as $15 - $20 USD an hour. It's when it becomes higher quality characters and animation that the prices go up. How long is the animation you're needing done? The more details you give the better or more accurate price quote you'll get.
Rhoel

Re: Animated Series Help using Anime - Need a Quote

Post by Rhoel »

angelamusica wrote: Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place, I need an estimate really.
I moved this to the animation jobs as this area is best for this request.

R
angelamusica wrote:Hi,
I want to create an animated series using anime studio and I need to create a budget. So my question is how much would it cost to hire someone to create it?
There are several additional bits of information which are needed.
  • How many episodes.
  • What is the episode running time.
  • Are you lip syncing either to dialogue or songs?
  • Are you making English and Spanish versions?
  • do you have storyboard or does the contractor have to make those too?
  • HD TV output or web-steamed?
The longer the series run, the lower the per minute cost - stock libraries of backgrounds and characters can be built. Lip syncing in two languages using switch layers will not dramatically increase the cost - just two sets of track breakdowns to do.

Once this is known, then the per second of screen time can be figured out.

Rhoel
chucky

Post by chucky »

J. Baker wrote:It all depends on the level of difficulty. If you're saying it pretty basic stuff, you can find someone to do it for as little as $15 - $20 USD an hour.
Don't be telling people that buddy, no freelancer or hired hand worth their salt would go near a rate like that.
Someone who accepted that rate could not handle a whole series.
Misinformation like that is irresponsible and endangers animators income and conditions, we definitely don't want producers running around quoting you and claiming that this is the market rate.
Please don't bandy that kind of offer unless you are prepared to take it yourself and also have the ability to take the job.

PS Smurfees walk cycle needs revisions.

Sorry for the late post on this and I don't mean to flame, I am merely protecting the legit animators out there who have a hard enough time negotiating without being sold short by well meaning saboteurs.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

chucky wrote:
J. Baker wrote:It all depends on the level of difficulty. If you're saying it pretty basic stuff, you can find someone to do it for as little as $15 - $20 USD an hour.
Don't be telling people that buddy, no freelancer or hired hand worth their salt would go near a rate like that.
Someone who accepted that rate could not handle a whole series.
Misinformation like that is irresponsible and endangers animators income and conditions, we definitely don't want producers running around quoting you and claiming that this is the market rate.
Please don't bandy that kind of offer unless you are prepared to take it yourself and also have the ability to take the job.

PS Smurfees walk cycle needs revisions.

Sorry for the late post on this and I don't mean to flame, I am merely protecting the legit animators out there who have a hard enough time negotiating without being sold short by well meaning saboteurs.
what ever :roll:

It all depends on how complex the animation is. If it's south park style and very short, I wouldn't charge anymore then that. As it's very easy to do. And I based it off her characters from her website. As they all look like cut-out style characters.
chucky

Post by chucky »

If it's south park style and very short, I wouldn't charge anymore then that.
what.....ever.
ppphhhtt
dm

Post by dm »

I hate to say it, but there are a lot of people working for that sort of rate. I suppose, in the end, you get what you pay for anyway. Guild scale is around $30/hr.

http://animationguild.org/ click "contract" tab for more rate info.

Recent job, all freelancers-most of the animators were paid $50/hr with a 56 hour per week guarantee. There was a lot of over time (at 1.5 and 2x rate). Non-Union.

Source your animation to China, India, Korea, etc., and the price goes way down.

What's become of angelamusica?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I want to create an animated series using anime studio
That right there stops me from replying. One thing to do a 3 minute video, but a series is a whole different thing.

Dale
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

Is there any 'newbie (getting starting guide)' or web stie that could provide information on professional animation work, such as creating budget working with studios etc..
dm

Post by dm »

http://www.producinganimation.com/index.html

I haven't read it. This was recommended by one of the animators here. There are spreadsheets out there for budgeting as well (with current rates installed).

working with studios? Can you elaborate?
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

Still need to find that out, whether i can elaborate or even collaborate :D
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

dueyftw wrote:
I want to create an animated series using anime studio
One thing to do a 3 minute video, but a series is a whole different thing.

Dale
Interesting comment. Why? In Thailand we did an entire series with it and no problems. The 2D team were output an episode 4 times faster then the 3D guys with Maya. With a series, you have much greater opportunity to use stock talking heads/papagayo, stock lateral walks etc. Just Change the background over, adjust the camera and import the lip-sync and press render - 4-5 seconds completed in minutes.

Series work is all about pre-production, planning ahead.

Rhoel
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Her request for help is just too open ended. No clear idea of how many segments or how long each one will be. I do animation as a hobby and try to help out on projects that 'Pro's' won't touch, because if you believe that their is money at the end of a 'Pay will be when the project is sold' well then........................whatever.

If she had come back and answered just a few of your question, then maybe I would have help, her music is excellent.

Dale
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

okay - understand now - i took it you wouldn't use ASP for a series.

Rhoel