Anime Studio Version 6 A Must Have

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

Anime Studio Version 6 A Must Have

Post by mkelley »

I'm addressing this to all those new to Anime Studio, or those who are thinking about buying Anime Studio.

To me, there is no question that AS Version 6 (either the Pro or the Debut version) is a must purchase. I would encourage most who can afford it to buy the Pro version, because if you do any serious animation you will need it, but even the Debut version blows most other software away.

For those of you thinking about upgrading who haven't loaded the demo yet -- do so and you will be convinced to upgrade. It's worth it at twice the price.

Mike did a tremendous job at trying to address a whole lot of user requests for this version -- I was very surprised at the feature set. It doesn't feel like a version upgrade, more like two or three.

I have said it many times in the past but it's even more true today -- AS is the best software product I have ever owned. I've spend tens of thousands on graphics software, from Adobe Creative Suites, to 3D Max, to Maya and FaceTracker, to Lightwave and ToonBoom and nothing even comes close. AS is strictly a 2D animation program (with some minor 3D elements) but as such it will give you the ability to create the same kind of animations you see on television or in movies, without having a boatload of animators working on the same project.

If I couldn't have AS, I wouldn't have a computer.
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

I'm not getting it unless either there's a linux version for debut, or I can find an iPhone for $12.48 so I have 200 left. Or I could use a virtual machine, though I don't know if it's worth it since it'll probably be pretty slow.
ImageImage
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'd just add that ASDebut 6 is so much better that AS Standard 5.6 users will feel like they've upgraded to Pro. There is just that much more to it. Even without some of the features of Pro, ASD still allows things like very easy frame by frame (you don't even need to rely on onionskin any more).

Version 6 is a huge step for AS. Absolutely monumental.

:wink:
rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 »

gnarrghhh i cant wait.

so what is this monumental shift going on here? i mean... please... let me know lol

RonC
Anime Studio, Xara Xtreme 4, Magix Movie Edit Pro 11, Papagayo, Ableton Live 8, Artrage Deluxe
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Download the trial version, and find out. :D
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Ron,

I think the best way to explain it is "something for everyone".

For example, while there are tons of features there are actually only a couple that excite me (like key scaling on the timeline). But that's actually great, because Mike looks to have accomplished something few programmers ever do, which is to give a little something to make everyone happy.

That doesn't mean there aren't bugs that need to be sorted out in AS 6, but Mike's track record is excellent in this regard and I would expect it to be the case here. It also doesn't mean there are things (like bone scaling) that many of us want that didn't make it into this release. That's what next year is for <g>.

As Wes says, download the trial and you'll see (or just read the list of new features posted here). If you've used AS for any time whatsoever you're sure to find something that's worth the upgrade price (and it's much less than an iPhone -- the cost of the iPhone is nothing compared to the bi-yearly contract you have to sign. After two years you will have spent $2K for an iPhone, which would buy a whole lot of AS 6 :>)
windstormer

Post by windstormer »

Any word on a premiere date for ASP 6? I thought I had read that it was June 1st, then I heard not. Even a ball park date?
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

mkelley wrote: If you've used AS for any time whatsoever you're sure to find something that's worth the upgrade price (and it's much less than an iPhone -- the cost of the iPhone is nothing compared to the bi-yearly contract you have to sign. After two years you will have spent $2K for an iPhone, which would buy a whole lot of AS 6 :>)
Then it will be a while before I can afford AS6. :( I'll try the trial, though. Maybe I'll just get Debut and put it on my old PC.
ImageImage
Magnatude

Post by Magnatude »

I liked seeing that AS6 gradient video, nice to see them implement the corel style of controllers.

Tho I bought AS 5.6 only recently and I'm just getting used to using it now, I'm just going to wait and see what the final verdict is after ppl play around with it.
Professor S

Post by Professor S »

Any word yet on what it costs to upgrade from 5.6 Pro to 6 Pro? Is it another $200 or is there an upgrade price?
TheChewanater

Post by TheChewanater »

Professor S wrote:Any word yet on what it costs to upgrade from 5.6 Pro to 6 Pro? Is it another $200 or is there an upgrade price?
$129, I think.

----

Does that mean it'll be $279 to upgrade from AS5.6 to ASP6? That doesn't seem right.

Anyways, screw the iPhone I've been saving up for. I think this is worth it (I might change my mind.)
ImageImage
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

Favorite new feature thus far: The ability to turn OFF onion skins! Yay!! I accidentally clicked those things so many times...
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

TheChewanater wrote: Anyways, screw the iPhone I've been saving up for. I think this is worth it (I might change my mind.)
You don't want an iPhone! Blech. Get a cheap phone that does it's job... makes calls. Then you won't be wasting time watching tv shows, movies and playing games and you can spend more time ANIMATING!

;)

p.s. I don't have ANY cell phone AT ALL. When I'm not home no one can find me! I'm FREE! Of course when the aliens attack earth, I'll be the only person on the planet not twittering or video blogging the event. ;)

-vern
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I think that's very cool that you don't have a cell phone. Respek ;)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Mikdog wrote:I think that's very cool that you don't have a cell phone. Respek ;)
Cell phones prevent people from interacting in the "real world". Years ago before they were so popular I would actually interact with strangers on a daily basis, at the store, on the street, getting coffee at my local convenience store.

Now.... nothing. Everyone has a phone stuck to their ears or a wireless ear piece. They don't talk to those around them, only the faceless people on the other end of the line. It almost seems like 24/7. You can't say "hello" or comment on the weather. Or make a joke while standing in line.

Those people turn away, avert your gaze. I've seen this behavior become more and more prevalent over the years. I miss the old days when I made some silly comment in a long line at the store and everyone in the line laughed. Now... they press their hands to their ears to hear their phones better and turn away.

Cell phones are important. They are a part of our lives now. But they disconnect us from the people who are right there in front of us... standing next to us.

I will probably need to get a cell phone again. I have been putting it off. I just plan not to use it if I don't have to. I don't want to get "addicted".

-vern