AS Renderer

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Imago

AS Renderer

Post by Imago »

I have seen somewhere an external batch renderer for the AS project, but it was only for MAC...
http://www.mediafire.com/?lxkmzmzo3om

There is a Win version?
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Do you have AS Pro?

It has a built in batch renderer that works pretty well. I use it all the time.

-vern
Imago

Post by Imago »

Yes, I have Pro... But I can't use it to batch render because the switches don't work and in my animation I use many switches and interpolation...
I'm stuck with AS Debut 6...
I wonder how all who bought ASP 7 can work with it!
Manu

Post by Manu »

what the... I wrote that AS Batch Renderer about a year ago. Very much a version 0.8 or so. I never bothered developing it further as there seemed to be little interest.

I had no idea someone put it on a filesharing site. Does that mean there is interest after all?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Imago wrote:I wonder how all who bought ASP 7 can work with it!
I work with it with no problem. I know my workflow is not the most common, but as I have been avoiding to use switch layers for long time (not because of bugs, just because I'm not a big fan of have 10+ layers for a mouth or whatever) that bug doesn't care me personally.
Of course it must be fixed for all the users like you, and I hope SM make an update soon. Meanwhile, remember it's just a bug (a big one, I know) and there are many ways to obtain similar results using AS. It doesn't make AS unworkable for everything.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Imago

Post by Imago »

selgin wrote:
Imago wrote:I wonder how all who bought ASP 7 can work with it!
I work with it with no problem. I know my workflow is not the most common, but as I have been avoiding to use switch layers for long time (not because of bugs, just because I'm not a big fan of have 10+ layers for a mouth or whatever) that bug doesn't care me personally.
Of course it must be fixed for all the users like you, and I hope SM make an update soon. Meanwhile, remember it's just a bug (a big one, I know) and there are many ways to obtain similar results using AS. It doesn't make AS unworkable for everything.
Yes, you're right.
Surely there are many methods to do the same thing.
The problem is I can't redo everything after six months of developing...
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

What about J. Baker's MoRen? Oops, just realised, no batch mode. Maybe you can twist his arm to add it.

Also, someone who knows Python could whip up a cross-platform gui to do batch rendering in about 1/2 hour or so, ;).
Imago

Post by Imago »

Manu wrote:what the... I wrote that AS Batch Renderer about a year ago. Very much a version 0.8 or so. I never bothered developing it further as there seemed to be little interest.

I had no idea someone put it on a filesharing site. Does that mean there is interest after all?
I put it in my file sharing folder to show what i was talking about.
If I have mistaken, I will remove it immediately.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Imago wrote:I put it in my file sharing folder to show what i was talking about.
If I have mistaken, I will remove it immediately.
No worries, I was just wondering why it showed up there. If it meant there was interest for such a tool, it would be worth picking the development up again.

Currently it's pretty much abandon-ware and was designed to work with AS 5.6
Imago

Post by Imago »

I think a slim external renderer can be useful.
Maybe something can use the graphics hardware and CPU toghether.
I read the GPUs are much powerful than CPUs in such applications, even if you have a Quadcore on your machine, because it can do repetitive calculations in less time ( e.g. the rendering of the vector layers are a VERY repetitive math calculation...)
Manu

Post by Manu »

Unfortunately, AS Batch Renderer is really just an interface for the command-line renderer provided by Mike/Smith Micro. It's not as if I wrote a renderer from scratch. So any bug in the AS renderer might also show in up AS Batch Renderer.

The main reason I wrote it is that it would automatically create properly named folders for every render in the batch in a location the user could choose rather than dumping everything in the same folder as the .anme.

The idea was to eventually add things like presets, watch folders...

I even managed to get some form of multi-processor rendering going by launching multiple renderers simultaneously. It sped up the rendering by quite a bit actually, but it never got past proof-of-concept as there was no interest.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The batch renderere in AS 7 Pro allows for saving renderings to different locations and works quite well. I don't think a command line renderer would work with Debut since it doesn't have that feature. The command line rendering would need Pro.

-vern