Simple Script Request

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bupaje

Simple Script Request

Post by bupaje »

Hi. A response by myles to a post made me scramble back to the help file and realize I had missed all the cool shortcuts (like that P key for peaked lines which will save me some work) . I have some memory loss and have a heck of a time remembering tiny details like this; while I can print this up and tape it to the side of my desk I was wondering if it might be easy enough for someone to create a script to popup an image with a keypress or on hovering over an icon in the toolbar? Then I can make a simple image with the shortcuts listed and have quick access to it while working.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

A tooltip should appear when you hover over a tool in the toolbar. If the tool in question has a shortcut, then it will appear after the tool's name in parentheses. Ex: "Add Point (A)"
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I guess I was looking for a list all in one place because if I only find the shortcuts by hovering, when I do find it I might as will hit it. :) However it is easy enough to print a list and type it up, or maybe I will cheat and save the image with short cuts and quick tips and import it as Moho object and then I can simply make the layer visible when I need a quick peek or invisible to render. Thanks LM -I love Moho. Drawing tools are simple but effective :)
myles

Post by myles »

bupaje wrote:However it is easy enough to print a list and type it up
You can start with this one if you like: http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~myle ... o_keys.txt
bupaje wrote:maybe I will cheat and save the image with short cuts and quick tips and import it as Moho object and then I can simply make the layer visible when I need a quick peek or invisible to render
Now that's a clever idea that could also have other uses.
bupaje wrote:I guess I was looking for a list all in one place
If you still want a script/tool, I've put one at the bottom of the list here: http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~myle ... index.html
Not entirely satisfactory (if I get a chance tonight I'll see if I can change it so another keystroke, whatever it is, hides the list away again - hmm, or maybe not - I don't see how a Lua script can close the output window), but it might do to start with. Edit the text area in ms_toolinfo.lua to add any other notes you might like.

Regards, Myles.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Thanks myles! I love the community here. :) I'm off to try it now -and thanks for the list as well.

Just tested -works great! The example script is also easily duplicated for me to create seperate text files if I need additional info handy -for instance the different screen sizes/ratios and other stuff discussed here. Thanks again. :)
7feet

Post by 7feet »

One other possibility is to put make a button-type tool that opens up an INFO or ALERT window with the help you want available. You could then assign a keyboard shortcut to it so you don't necessarily have to hit the button, and if it just has an "OKAY" button at the bottom of that window you can click that, or press (<ESC> or <ENTER>), to close the help window.

You could use the "Alert Test" script in the Scripts>Menu>Script Writing folder as a template, put in the text you want, drop it into the Scripts>Tool folder, and make an appropriate entry into the _tool_list.txt file you'll find there. It seems to be set up so you can only have 3 distinct lines of text in an alert box, but maybe you can BS it by using concatenation with a line break character. I'll try that in a bit.

And that does seem like a good use for the "Note" layers. Import it (or them) as Moho objects into all your projects and it would be a pretty good simple way of keeping the info you want easily at hand. And you save the program overhead of using an image layer.

--Brian
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

First off let me say DUH! to myself! I have seen the Note layers every time I use Moho but so far have focused all my energy into the Bones, Group, Image and Vector -yeesh, I have to start going through again and find all the useful stuff hiding in plain sight. :oops:

Anyway your ideas are always interesting and be glad to test scripts and cheer for all you smart guys. :)
myles

Post by myles »

7feet wrote:It seems to be set up so you can only have 3 distinct lines of text in an alert box, but maybe you can BS it by using concatenation with a line break character. I'll try that in a bit.
Brian, please let us know if you succeed - that would be a useful technique.
7feet wrote:And that does seem like a good use for the "Note" layers.
Possibly a similar limitation? I can only create one-line notes at the moment.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx