What kinds of Anime or Manga jobs could i get?

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Luked90

What kinds of Anime or Manga jobs could i get?

Post by Luked90 »

Can u list the anime and manga jobs that i can get?
all that u know and can think of plz
:)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

erm.... tea boy... washer-uper. If you're really lucky you might get to clean the toilets.

----

edit: sorry i know that sounded harsh, i've only just read your other threads - i'll make a more appropriate response in the other thread! :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK, seriously now. In that other thread he said he's 14 yrs old.

No studio would hire you right now because you're just 14. If there's a studio in your hometown, you might earn an internship.

But you need something to show. A big bunch of drawings, a thick folder full of stories, whatever ... And I have to tell you that your chances aren't that good right now, still because of your age. You will definitely need to spend some more years on training, how to write, how to draw.

Here's some starting points.
- Get better in spelling. Studios are kind of old-fashioned in that respect, they insist on correct spelling not only of their scripts, but of all correspondance.

- Draw. Draw every single day, on paper, with a pencil. Don't trace. Don't copy other people's drawings. Draw from real life, from observation. And then: throw away all the bad stuff, and only keep the good stuff.

- Learn some useful techniques, like pencil drawing, inking with a brush or a pen, scanning, inking digitally, colouring on paper or in Photoshop or any other software you have, prepare work for printing.

- Read a lot about your subject, and I don't mean reviews of anime. I mean books and websites about drawing, cartooning, animating. Technical stuff. Watch other good artists, observe their work, try to find out how they did it. Your local library is your starting point. Create a bookmark folder for all your "study sites". (I reckon you know how to do research? Find something via Google, Amazon, Wikipedia, on this forum?) Click your way through blogrolls (the column on a blog where one links to other blogs) to find hundreds of artists and see their work.

Books & Sites:
There's a lot of "how to draw" books on the market, I can't recommend a single one, but you should compare them in the shop and pick one you find useful - or don't use them at all, that's okay.
A must-have for animators is Preston Blair's book about Animation. Fortunately you can read it online here: http://www.animationarchive.org/2006/05 ... ourse.html.
John Kricfalusi gives a lot of good advice, although I'm not sure if its understandable for beginners, and he's very opinionated sometimes - where I disagree with him.
Some people post scans of the Famous Artists Course, like http://comicrazys.wordpress.com/2008/12 ... 6-anatomy/, which is one of the best single sources about solid draftsmanship you can get.

This is quite a load of stuff for a beginner, I know. When I started to work "professionally", I was about 15 and drew my first bunch of newspaper ads and posters - and I didn't have a clue. But the learning comes by doing. I was getting better, slowly, I did animation the way I thought it was right. Only when I became 28 I started in a professional studio and learned it "the right way".

I you really want to work in animation, you will succeed.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

He doesnt want to be an animator, he's not an artist... he wants to make a quick buck to buy a nintendo DS... it ain't gonna happen.

He doesn't have the humility to listen to advice, he doesn't have the capacity to respect his elders... regardless of his age i think its really a waste of everyones time trying to repeat themselves over and over for his wellbeing.
Luked90

Post by Luked90 »

shut up u
just because im 14 doesnt mean i wana get a Nintendo!
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Try to understand, almost everyone here has things like a jobs, homes, family's, cars, and responsibility that you just don't have yet. You came to this board and ask a valid question for a 14 year old. What do I need to do to get in the business? You got some very good answers, all coming down to work, and how much you put into to it. I have a job and I'm going to school to night. I was born in 1959, do the math. You don't stop learning.

Vern and other have said, arrogance gets you very little in life. Trust me I know. Mine arrogance almost kill me a few years a ago.

The real world runs on money and very shortly your going to need it and most likely are going to have to work for it. Get a job, save your money and buy things that will make your more. 14? Mow lawns, shovel snow, get a paper route. I know a guy at 14 had 10,000 in cash in his pocket all the time. His father had a very large wood lot where he cut firewood. 100 dollars a cord. At first it was very hard work, but then he he bought log splitter, tractor, his own chain saws and paid a few friends to help him. At 14 it can be done, but in this industry you would have to be amazingly good and hide the fact that your only 14. If that was the case you would not be asking how to get in. (At 14 I would have loved to shoved 10 grand in front of some of my arrogant teachers and told them to get a real job.)

Dale
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Deleted
Last edited by madrobot on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

maybe you SHOULD get a DS - I recommend 'Brain Training' and 'My Word Coach' lol
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK, answering the kid's question: with this attitude, none.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

...i dunno slow, maybe 'Dartboard'?
niccichan

Re: What kinds of Anime or Manga jobs could i get?

Post by niccichan »

Luked90 wrote:Can u list the anime and manga jobs that i can get?
well it depends.... are you good at drawing, comming up with a good story line, coloring, inking, voice overs?????

i am also looking in this line of work. i'm still working on my drawings and my stories are pretty good and voice overs sound fun.

what you should do is draw, write or do a voice for a friends flash video.

if you want you can check out my drawings and fanfic to get some ideas
http://shikas1nonlytruelove.deviantart.com

also email me @ niccichan@hotmail.com if you want any more help

~Nicci
Otaku 4 life!!!!
Patmals

Re: What kinds of Anime or Manga jobs could i get?

Post by Patmals »

Luked90 wrote:Can u list the anime and manga jobs that i can get?
I suggest for now to draw like crazy and learn - study at school AND in your free time study animation (if you SERIOUSLY have decided thats what you want to do)

Start saving your money for your goal.

In the case of Manga, maybe you could create your own dojinshi and show it around fan clubs etc.