animated tribute to the Sri Lankan security forces

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mnagaha

animated tribute to the Sri Lankan security forces

Post by mnagaha »

animated tribute to the security forces of Sri Lanka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2urNaKWtPkE

comments pls :D
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I don't know much about the political situation in Sri Lanka, but this looks like propaganda, and that makes me feel uneasy. The style is quite accomplished.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
mnagaha

Post by mnagaha »

i work at one of the two government owned TV stations in sri lanka.
(there are about 18 private broadcasters who are free to have their own take on the situation) and this was made under a clear directive from "high up". so it is in a way "propaganda".

i get ur point that its looks fishy,
but this is considered to be routine patriotism.

but what do u mean by "accomplished" could u elaborate please?

PS.
the political situation is that the terrorist organization known as the LTTE is finally being defeated militarily. so that the people in the north and east of the country can have again, the basic freedoms like the ability to vote, and to chose their own representatives.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

mnagaha wrote:the political situation is that the terrorist organization known as the LTTE is finally being defeated militarily. so that the people in the north and east of the country can have again, the basic freedoms like the ability to vote, and to chose their own representatives.
I don't know much about sri lanka, I have read some chronics that call it "a pedophilia paradise", which implies a lot of corruption and a political vicious circle.
In Chile, my country, there are no one little new about sri lanka ever. I suppose in powerful countries happens the same (because the groups which controls the mass medias are most the same everywhere). I would like to travel and see by myself what's going on, I mean, recently I travel to Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela to see what's is going on there. surprisingly (or not, if you are a media distrutful), things were pretty different of what media says. For example, in Venezuela, where news says that Chávez is a dictator and there are no democracy, I saw more democracy, education, health and combat against poverty than I ever seen in my country.
I repeat, I almost know nothing about Sri Lanka. But to me is highly suspect the use of the word terrorism and the legitimation of the violence by military forces.

Sorry, I know it's an animation forum and your animation looks pretty good, but maybe a little debate is not bad.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

mnagaha wrote:...but what do u mean by "accomplished" could u elaborate please?
I have already commented on the content. I mean if you separate the content from the form, the animation techniques show evidence of some experience...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Very nice. Exactly what we've come to expect of you.

As far as the content is concerned, I'd have to say that it looks like one of the 'be all you can be' ads the US Army runs over here. But that doesn't mean it isn't propaganda. Every country, even the US, does its fair share. I guess the only judging it is by the degree to which the propaganda is a blatant lie. Although it is usually the target of such ads that is the least able to accurately judge its truth.

:roll:
mnagaha

Post by mnagaha »

selgin wrote:
mnagaha wrote:the political situation is that the terrorist organization known as the LTTE is finally being defeated militarily. so that the people in the north and east of the country can have again, the basic freedoms like the ability to vote, and to chose their own representatives.
I don't know much about sri lanka, I have read some chronics that call it "a pedophilia paradise", which implies a lot of corruption and a political vicious circle.
In Chile, my country, there are no one little new about sri lanka ever. I suppose in powerful countries happens the same (because the groups which controls the mass medias are most the same everywhere). I would like to travel and see by myself what's going on, I mean, recently I travel to Bolivia, Perú, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela to see what's is going on there. surprisingly (or not, if you are a media distrutful), things were pretty different of what media says. For example, in Venezuela, where news says that Chávez is a dictator and there are no democracy, I saw more democracy, education, health and combat against poverty than I ever seen in my country.
I repeat, I almost know nothing about Sri Lanka. But to me is highly suspect the use of the word terrorism and the legitimation of the violence by military forces.

Sorry, I know it's an animation forum and your animation looks pretty good, but maybe a little debate is not bad.
thank u for the comment, but sri lanka IS NOT "a pedophilia paradise".
i would like to comment extensively on media misconceptions about the present situation in sri lanka.
but i too think that this forum is, and should be, about animation.
i would be glad to PM anyone who wants to know more about the ground reality here.
mnagaha

Post by mnagaha »

jahnocli wrote:
mnagaha wrote:...but what do u mean by "accomplished" could u elaborate please?
I have already commented on the content. I mean if you separate the content from the form, the animation techniques show evidence of some experience...
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

You know that it's most likely people those soldiers are shooting at?
With bullets from real guns. Those things kill. Like final, no bam, bam you're dead, now let's go have supper.
People of flesh and blood. With a mind and with families.
Great thing to make a commercial/promo for. Kudos to you.
mnagaha

Post by mnagaha »

the 'people' of which u speak recently started shooting and killing civilian families who tried to flee into governmet controled areas.

i was born in the govenment controlled south. so my familly didnt have to give one of their underage children as 'blood tax' to fight in the front lines. or to become a 'marter' as a suicide bomber. i have had truck bombs going off 50 meters from my school. and a few months back the LTTE ambushed a civilian bus in the south. among the dead was a relative of mine. she was bringing her daughter home from kindergarden. the child survived after being taken to hospital.

but i have freedom to speak, to write, to vote, and if i dont like the party in power i can openly support the opposition.

i want normalcy to return so that all the people of sri lanka can have the same freedoms that i enjoy. but u cant have normalcy if a part of the country is controlled by people who's only claim to power is that they have might.

so but do not try to jude me, my work, or the people of sri lanka. based on half hearted annalisis gained from the 15 second sound bytes that u see in the international media.

if u feel storgly about the 'guns' that are killing civilians, and if u live in sweden u dont have to look any further than ur own backyard to stop the money that is bying all the guns.

how much time and effort are u willing to put into that after supper?

my perpose in posting my work here was to have it evaluated for thechnical and other faults. if jahnocli or anyone else has any misgivings about the content.i respect that.
and i want to thank everyone for commenting.

however i will not follow this thread any more.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Im' sorry if I have offended you but I feel quite strongly against weapons and armed forces and I do not believe in an eye for an eye.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I have to say, Sweden is probably one of the few places where its citizens aren't complicit just because of where they are born. For the rest of us, we have to come to terms with a wide variety of violence perpetuated by our governments, for both good and bad causes. I'd have to say that if you don't live in one of these cultures you probably don't see the full picture.

It would be wonderful if everyone had the opportunity to be as idealistic. For the rest of us, well, art mirrors life. :wink:
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I have to agree with synthsin. As a Brit, it's easier to look round the world to pick out countries we HAVEN'T been to war with (Hint: it helps to speak Portuguese, for some reason). I would hate for mnagaha to be put off from posting up to the forum because of anything I -- or anyone else -- said.
mnagaha

Post by mnagaha »

i was looking through 'share your work' and i saw that jahnocli had posted a comment, the last i rememberd it was synthsin who commented.

rylleman was right to speak his mind (i just wish he would have worded it a little differently,.... but no hard feelings)

i just dont want to have 'that' conversation.
that is why i said i wont follow this 'thread'
but i will continue to post in the forum.

(actually spent a few days producing one and a half 20 second animation clips per day, still recovering... :) )

i hope everyone will feel free to comment (good, or bad) on my clips in the future :D
thanks
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

As the soldier runs, his upper body seems a bit stiff. Maybe a little more arm and shoulder movement might help. I loved the way he just slides on one foot and stops with his other though. 8)

Great job either way, looking forward to seeing more. :D
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.