Campfire Fire Cycle

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Campfire Fire Cycle

Post by lwaxana »

I finally tried my hand at a fire cycle. There are some things I want to improve on it, but it was fun to try something new. :D

http://vimeo.com/11037844
aleXean

Post by aleXean »

Not bad. Is the cycle on linear motion? I feel like you should just add more too it.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Not bad indeed

Is it rotoscopie, how about more colors to it?

I like the motion but I find it short.

Still, pretty good.

G
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Thanks for your comments, guys. :D It's not rotoscoped. I'm following the basic approach from the book "Elemental Magic." I reread the section on fires this morning and now I realize that he recommends animating fires in several passes to build more structure into it. I only did this one in two passes, which is probably why it was difficult to add separate flames coming off of the main flame. One thing that was driving me crazy was that the small flames that fly away look like they are chunking off. I realize now that the flames should attenuate and pinch off. Next time I'll follow the book much more closely. The crappy thing is that I'm thinking the best way to get a really fluid look in AS is with switch layers animated on ones. Might even be best to draw it out by hand first.

[edit] I say crappy because a fire seems like a logical thing to use point interpolation on. But all the details extending in and out of it make it very messy to use point motion. Unless! Just remembered the technique of putting un-outlined shapes on top of outlined copies of themselves...!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Taking another stab at animating fire. This time I animated a fireball following the example in Elemental Magic pretty closely to try to understand the flame behavior.

http://vimeo.com/20981220
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I like it. It has a more natural look to it than most animated fire.
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

I didnt like the first version at all but this one is much better, looks more like a real bonfire.
If you improve this animation, dont forget to post it :).
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

I have a lot of problems with water and fire. Your 2nd version is so much better than the first that I think I might have to get that book too. Elemental Magic: The Art of Special Effects Animation... $32 on Amazon

keep up the good work!