3D sounds with moho

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

00moa00

3D sounds with moho

Post by 00moa00 »

I think it's a good idea (i hope you so!) to create a "sound layer" type that can be positionned (like other layer) in 3D space....

for example:
I have a forest with lot of trees, i hear a bird anywhere on the tree, i walk and after many second the bird is closer (volume louder), keep walking and i have bypass the bird ... i return and look on the tree, the bird is here !

If you can do this on stereo or 5.1....wOAw great !
cribble

Post by cribble »

Wait a second, MoHo isn't a sound application nor (by the looks of things) does it intend to become so advance with it sound features.

You can do what you've suggested in other programs out side of moho. You can even make the sound 3D before you import them into MoHo, as long as you have the ear to do so and have planned the project well enough to think of how every thing will sound in that certain environment.

It's also alot more flexible to edit the sounds in a another application as a "Just in case" measure say you cocked up the 'birds getting closer' sound.
--Scott
cribble.net
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

I always have dreamed with a feature like this in Moho, cause would be the most easy and funny way (two Moho's premise) to work with sound and his INTERACTIVITY with the enviroment... Apart, with this kind of sound features, we can do storyboarding & animatics directly in Moho and begin the proyects in Moho since the begining... Sound features it'd be usefull too (at last) for avoid this kind of repeated posts (AT LAST) ... I hope that LM can do things like this in a near future, taking the advantage of the good time that the program is (in my opinion) living now... *CIAO*
00moa00

Post by 00moa00 »

cribble wrote:Wait a second, MoHo isn't a sound application nor (by the looks of things) does it intend to become so advance with it sound features.
You'r right CRIBBLE, Moho is an ANIMATION software before all but today you can import soundtrack in moho also why can't offer the possibilitie to 3D positioning sounds ? (like vrml)

Moho have the goal to simplify the cartoon production workflow (i think) and to make professionnal tools accessible for tiny budget.

This the reason why I really think this feature have it's place on the next release of MOHO...
7feet

Post by 7feet »

The whole problem I see with this kind of idea is that audio processing, by its nature, has to run through a lot of data and use a lot of cpu time. Maybe it can it time be streamlined, but it seems to me that because of the somewhat novel realtime (when you can get it) processing that Moho does on vector, and in the end a lot of other types, processing that extending the core functionality of Moho's audio capabilities would have to come at a cost to the visual aspects. At least as it relates to seeing things in realtime. That's not to say it would not be useful. But I figure that at this point it would come at an unacceptable cost. I dislike Quicktime myself for most uses (which is used as the audio engine in Moho), but to keep cross-paltform compatability betweeen Win32 and Mac it seems a reasonably pragmatic solution. But maybe not so flexible as to allow much mixing capabilities without doing a lot of programming. Which, IMO, would be better spent on speeding up the realtime rendering.

Maybe getting away from quicktime for the sound and going over to SDL would be useful, especially as it goes across all 3 platforms and would allow you to set up a separate thread for the audio, which might not hurt. But what do I know, I'm still a moron at most of the programming stuff.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

7feet wrote:Maybe getting away from quicktime for the sound and going over to SDL would be useful, especially as it goes across all 3 platforms and would allow you to set up a separate thread for the audio, which might not hurt.
I would like to second this request. This would allow for adding a soundtrack to a linux moho project, as well as then porting papagayo to linux. That would make me very happy - I'm personally do not see the need for 3d sound (at least now).
cribble

Post by cribble »

I'm not saying i'm against the idea i'm saying how is this going to improve your workflow if all its going to do is slow down (further) the working environment? how is this going to export propely if you don't have the right audio codecs?
--Scott
cribble.net