GPU acceleration?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

GPU acceleration?

Post by chucky »

Ok I don't know a great deal about the technicalities of this topic, I am ready to listen though.
Many of my other apps are GPu accelerated and the performance improvements are outstanding.

Would it not be great to see this power implemented in ASPRO?

What say you?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I am all for GPU acceleration. I think that most software is using CUDA for GPU acceleration (i.e. Adobe) so that means nVidia graphic cards only.
chucky

Post by chucky »

That's Ok if all cuda is nvidia then the people who are who want GPU acceleration already have an nvidea.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Or should have an nVidia graphics card.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yeah, you said it. :)
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I have Octane Render which is a standalone unbias GPU render engine. They are beginning to make plug-ins for 3D software. It was really fast and nice for stills but animation was a hard task. This should eliminate that bottle neck. There is another company called Octane Render Tools that also sells plug-ins for the engine.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

OpenCL would be nicer since it is supported by both ATI and Nvidia cards.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Yeah, but I don't know of any that are currently heading that way. I heard a few years ago that vray was going to support OpenCL but it apparently never materialized.

There were a couple of near realtime cartoon render engines that used DirectX to accomplish it. There was StudioGPU that used GPU accleration along with DirectX to produce some amazing looking toon renders. Problem was they needed the top of the line ATI card and $5,000. They finally came out with a version 2 and released it for FREE. Then 6 months later they went out of business. Funny, 3D World called it the render engine of the future.

The other one was TrueSpace. A 3D program which MicroSoft purchased and upgraded with a realtime render engine. Released it for FREE and then called it quits. All in a span of about 6 months or so. I believe its still available for FREE download along with all the video tutorials.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group