How can I do this in ASPro?

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pesto

How can I do this in ASPro?

Post by Pesto »

Hi all,
I made this in AE after following a SkillShare tutorial. I like the rounded limbs and the rubbery feel. How can I create that look in ASPro? I tried with bones but got more sharpness in the joints. I guess I could use actions/smartskin and fix the geometry when it bends but is there a way to rig so I wouldn't have to adjust the geometry?

Thanks

http://youtu.be/LqoSVZCMPCQ
lwaxana

Re: How can I do this in ASPro?

Post by lwaxana »

Hi Pesto! Selgin posted an excellent tutorial on this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=20410
Pesto

Post by Pesto »

Thanks lwaxana I will check it out!!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That's a very nice and dynamic walk!
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

lwaxana wrote:Hi Pesto! Selgin posted an excellent tutorial on this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=20410
Thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot that tutorial and I'm happy you like it.
Anyway, I think now this kind of stuff is mostly covered by using smart bones. I still using this old technique, but in very specific cases. For example, an arm with more than one joint (like an octopus tentacle or the dinosaur's tail) generally works better with this rig rather than using smart bones.
Also, some aspects covered there are obsolete now or can improve by using new features.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Selgin, What method would you recommend using with the new features? It looked like the Moho robot still used this technique?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

lwaxana wrote:Selgin, What method would you recommend using with the new features? It looked like the Moho robot still used this technique?
You are right, the robot uses this little "0.5" bone in combination with smart bones, specially for the perpendicular lines. Also, smart bones let you to change the curvature according to the angle, so you can avoid the curvature jumps when the angle is too close (you can see that happening in the tutorial). Sincerely, I really just don't remember why I made that combination and not just used smart bones :roll:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

selgin wrote:
lwaxana wrote:Selgin, What method would you recommend using with the new features? It looked like the Moho robot still used this technique?
You are right, the robot uses this little "0.5" bone in combination with smart bones, specially for the perpendicular lines. Also, smart bones let you to change the curvature according to the angle, so you can avoid the curvature jumps when the angle is too close (you can see that happening in the tutorial). Sincerely, I really just don't remember why I made that combination and not just used smart bones :roll:
Personally I still prefer that method and just fixing the vectors manually... For some reason I don't care for complex rigs to much or smart bones. I like bones for basic movements mostly and the rest I do by point animation.