Do's and Don't for best PSD updating?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

strider2000

Do's and Don't for best PSD updating?

Post by strider2000 »

Has anyone compiled a list of best practice do's and don'ts for .psd file upating. The doc states
However, the live link may work unexpectedly after importing into Anime Studio if you later move, delete, or hide layers in Photoshop and then return to Anime Studio.
So even though it also states
If layers are reordered in the original PSD file, Anime Studio will maintain its own layer order, but the PSD layers will still be properly referenced.
and
If you make only one of those mouths visible in the group before you import the Photoshop file into Anime Studio, the other layers in the group will be configured as switch layers for the visible mouth when it appears inside Anime Studio.
It doesn't seem quite as easy as I originally thought. I've done some simple tests, as if I'm creating a character over time (like initially creating a mouth and then later moving it into a switch layer with other mouths). I've seen some wonkiness, like images being initially flipped upside down and a message saying "Could not read photoshop file, but I can then import the file again ok (that one I want to avoid, because it kill my content in AS :cry: ).

I understand it's a complex issue, so I'm not complaining, I'm more wanting to know what kind of actions will cause me problems on update so I can avoid them.

By the way I'm using Manga Studio and saving as psd. I'm not doing any fancy filters or anything, just want to
- draw
- creating new layers
- grouping layers (or create new group layers)
and I'm having problems. Haven't yet tested enough to be sure what's happening.

I'd like to delete layers, hide layers and move layers, but from the doc those seem problematic.
strider2000

Re: Do's and Don't for best PSD updating?

Post by strider2000 »

Quick update. It seems that when Photoshop saves .psd everything is fine (at least for Elements 10). :cry:
That's so sad, because I really want to support Smith Micro with Manga Studio and Anime Studio. Anyway, I've sent a note the to tech support team to see if there's something I'm doing wrong, or see if they might be able to have a fix in an upgrade. My hope is that it's something that can easily be fixed by getting info from the MS team about the details of the info saved to .psd or maybe a setting I can make in Manga Studio to have better support.

Still interested in a do's and don'ts list if someone has such. I'll share any info I find.
braj

Re: Do's and Don't for best PSD updating?

Post by braj »

I think the issue is that Manga seems to effectively save an export of PSD and then internally continues on in its native format, so you can use all the tools like vector layers, when you save again it is converted again to a PSD and saved. I don't know that it will ever work the same as any Photoshop version since they work in that format natively.