ASP is Worst Animation Software Ever

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pijus

Re: ASP is Worst Animation Software Ever

Post by pijus »

I’m also in a situation, where i’m kind of forced to animate with moho. Today was a second day i’ve opened that software, and for a good couple of hours i was so frustrated, i almost bite my finger off (i’m not kidding or exadurating. I was so angry i scared myself). But after a couple of hours i animated a few seconds, i got a little bit more familiar with tools, i felt a bit like at home. But i’m still a tourist here, AE with duik plug in was my starting point, and in moho i miss a lot of what i was able to do in adobe. Moho’s UI looks very friendly to me. And that friendlyness is exact problem i have - lack of controls. Sry, needed to let out this rant
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

pijus wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 am...But i’m still a tourist here, AE with duik plug in was my starting point, and in moho i miss a lot of what i was able to do in adobe. Moho’s UI looks very friendly to me. And that friendlyness is exact problem i have - lack of controls. Sry, needed to let out this rant
I use both Moho and After Effects, at home and at work. My advice is to not try to use Moho like it's After Effects...they are two very different programs. Try to learn Moho on its own terms...there's a ton of stuff Moho does that AE can't do, or Moho handles more efficiently than AE. Conversely, there are many things Moho can't do that After Effects handles very well.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be using both programs together. And, fortunately, Moho and AE happen to work very well together.

I think some of my earliest posts to this forum, circa 2013 or so, sounded a lot like your post--I probably complained that Moho could be more like AE or some of the other programs I used. But after I learned how to use Moho and completed a few projects with it, I'm actually glad it's not like AE, or like some of the other animation and compositing programs I use. I like to use Moho for what the other programs can't do as well or as efficiently.

Think of Moho primarily as a 2D puppet animation program and AE as mainly a compositing and fx program. Obviously, there are some overlapping features but each program is focused on different uses. My typical workflow is to rig and animate with Moho, set up my Layer Comps for Moho Exporter, and render my passes and special mattes for AE as image sequences. Then I do most of my lighting and fx work in AE, and render the final movie file from AE for my editorial program.

Also, Moho has a helpful community of users, so If you have questions about the UI or workflow, and you can't find the answers in the user manual, this is a great place to ask questions. This forum is a big part of how I learned to use Moho...and I'm still learning from it!

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)
rafael

Post by rafael »

Another long-time AE user here. Moho definitely takes some getting used to, and there are some really strange gotchas hiding in the software. It's absolutely worth it if you're doing character animation though. Good luck and feel free to ask questions if you get hung up! :D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Animation software is a bit like driving vehicles. There's cars, fast ones and slow ones, there's lorries and busses and motorcycles, there's bicycles and wheelchairs and so on. Every time you change from one software/vehicle to another you need to learn new controls. But the purpose is all the same: drive the road.

Concentrate on the road, the controls will come to you.

(Speaking as one who's learnt about 200 programs in my lifetime, with about a dozen animation programs I've used in there.)
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Erich Scheidle

Post by Erich Scheidle »

No, Moho is the worst software ever. Can't even open it. Either I get an error or the serial number gets not expected any more. And i paid over 400 bucks for this piece of junk!
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Erich Scheidle wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:27 am No, Moho is the worst software ever. Can't even open it. Either I get an error or the serial number gets not expected any more. And i paid over 400 bucks for this piece of junk!
If you’re on a mac, try https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
and try to re-install Moho, because it’s a great animation tool.
Erich Scheidle

Post by Erich Scheidle »

Your plan did not work. I still get error 7089. And on my Mac they do not show this so-called “Lost Marble” folder either under the Application Support.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Do you have the

Code: Select all

/Users/<your name>/Library/Caches/com.lostmarble.moho/
folder?