Lock Bone?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hellyar

Lock Bone?

Post by Hellyar »

Hello,
I've applied Lock Bone to the end of a chain.
The User Manual says "when checked, prevents accidental changes to the current bone".
It doesn't seem to make any difference: I can do anything to it... move, rotate, affect it by other bones...
I'm a bit puzzled... please would someone kindly unpuzzle me? :)
jahnocli

Re: Lock Bone?

Post by jahnocli »

I don't have version 11 (using 9.5 at the moment), but if I did, I'd probably use target bones rather than the Lock Bone feature (based on webinars I've seen etc.). I admit Lock Bone is misleading...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Are you on frame zero or later? I don't think Lock Bone does anything on frame 0, which is the setup frame. It's only effective on an animation frame, or frame 1 and later. On the setup frame, you are still able to move and rotate the bone but try moving and rotating it on frame 1 and later, and it should be locked in place.

From what I can tell, Lock Bone does seem to work here in 11. It essentially creates a goal-like target that also prevents the bone from rotating, kinda like if you create a goal bone and enable Independent Angle for the reaching bone. The one difference I see is that Lock Bone isn't animateable the way a Goal bone is.

As with Goal bones, however, when you're using IK it's still possible to pull the reaching bone away from the Lock. But that's normal behavior.

G.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

Hello jahnocli
Many thanks for your reply.
Yes, it would appear that Target Bones have more or less replaced Lock Bones.
I was just being thorough in my learning! I have OCD which is handy for thoroughness, but rather inconvenient for life! Actually, my OCD is responding well to the medication... as long as I take the pills in ascending order of size.

Hello Greenlaw,
Once again, many thanks for your reply.
Yes, you're right: I was on 0. I moved to later and Lock Bone did as you said. Basically, it seems to lock the bone (and neighbour?) when one tries to manipulate it directly. However, as you said, if you manipulate farther up the chain, it moves... but, similar to Target Bones, points to the lock position.
By the way, I went to your website and was blown away by your animations. Astounding. Truly amazing. Inspiring despite the fact that I could never even approach the quality of your work... but one doesn't have to be Horowitz to enjoy playing the piano! Oh, I tried to leave a comment, there, but the comment box wouldn't send.... "Message failed to send", or something like that.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Glad that was helpful, and thanks for the tip about the message error. I wasn't aware the messaging system wasn't working so I'll look into that this weekend. If it's okay, can I PM you with some simple questions about the error?

G.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Hellyar wrote:...I have OCD which is handy for thoroughness, but rather inconvenient for life! Actually, my OCD is responding well to the medication... as long as I take the pills in ascending order of size...
Ha ha!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

Hello greenlaw,
Yes, please feel free to do so. :)

Hello jahnocli,
I'm struggling so much with this remarkable - albeit eccentric - program that it's making me a tad silly. :)

This forum is amazing. I would have given up by now if it weren't for the generous advice/help of its members. I'm genuinely astonished... and very grateful.