Bind Bone or Smart Bone for Nested Pupils?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Thrashador

Bind Bone or Smart Bone for Nested Pupils?

Post by Thrashador »

Hi all,
I have a character with smart bone dials on the top bone layer that can move his pupils. One smart bone is for Left and Right, the other is for Up and Down.

I thought that was pretty good, but then I noticed the Gorilla character that comes with ASP 11, and I thought THAT seemed like a much more flexible way to control the pupils from the top layer, just by translating the bone connected to each eye... I just haven't been able to duplicate that functionality yet.

My Walter White character has a main bone layer, then a head group layer with an eye group layer containing a pupil vector layer. How do I control the pupils (which are just a few simple circle shapes) with bones from the main bone layer?

Is it possible to bind the pupils to a bone on the top layer, and if so, how? I DO have "allow nested layer control" checked for my bone layer.

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpejehla67aln ... anime?dl=0

And if I can't bind the pupils to the bone on the main bone layer, is there a way to do it the "gorilla eye rig" way using smart bones?

Thanks so much!
Thrashador
synthsin75

Re: Bind Bone or Smart Bone for Nested Pupils?

Post by synthsin75 »

You have your "Head" group layer bound to the "Head" bone. This stops bones in the main bone layer from reaching any layers nested in that group. You'll need to unbind that layer and then either bind the individual vector layers, or use point or flexibinding (with "Use selected bones for flexibinding").
Thrashador

Post by Thrashador »

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

It works great now! :)

Thrashador
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad to help. Blocking bone influence to nested layers isn't at all obvious.