Sound Clips

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kaput

Sound Clips

Post by kaput »

Heya.
I'm planning to purchase Moho soon, as it is the most versatile application for 2D animation I've experienced.
It's for the specific purpose of creating a cartoon called, "It's Winterpeg!" You can learn more about that here...www.itswinterpeg.com...

But enough with the shameless plugs! :lol:

Something that I would find incredibly useful is the ability to import singular sound clips or files into the timeline, and be able to position them to my liking. Such a function would be very useful for sound effects, voices, etc.

I can't figure out how to finish this post off without sounding sappy, beggy, asshattery, or etc., so thanks.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

The old Feature Request, well... a little tired but everybody knows that I ALWAYS will support it, so :arrow: ...I'D LOVE IT! :D
gurkesaft

Post by gurkesaft »

Hello!

I'm a programmer (C/C++, python, perl, and everything else too) and a sound engineer. I'd be more than willing to help implement this functionality for free.

Please contact me if I can help in any way!

The hard part would be adding sound clip GUI functionality to the timeline, I wager, but once you have that, you could edit things like volume, pan, etc.. in real time quite easily, similar to the graph function.

It would only require an extra (simple) mixing step to combine everything into one track before compiling.

Take care,
Jack Sankey

PS- To ease worries about nondisclosure, I'm a physicist a Cornell subject to the whips and chains of American Lawyers, and I'm willing to sign consent forms ;). Also, I own .NET 2005 or something like that, but it's not installed at the moment because I love wxdev-C++ so much.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Contact efrontier -- they may be interested. Certainly would be a great enhancement to the program, whatever it is called.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

Hello gurkesaft,

User '7feet' made a program to mix and position .wav sounds. It is a Lua program, loadable directly into Moho. I made a suggestion (but no time to do it actually) to use this thing with Switch layers. For example, the program scanning the layers of the scene and searching for switch layer keys ending with the ".wav" name. These are the filenames, and the keys defining the positions. Switch layer keys can store any string values, without containing them as sub-layers. With the switch layer, you can position the sounds easily (for example with my exposure sheet tool). Unlimited number of mixable and positionable sounds. We could make it without the help of e-frontier or LM.

You can find the MixSound here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5091
- - - Fazek
7feet

Post by 7feet »

That's pretty much exactly what I'm trying to work out now. Cleaned up the code a bunch, and made it so it everything is processed 16bit stereo. No way I'm going to try to put resampling (like changing the audio's sample rate from 11K to 44.1K) in there at the moment, it's pretty intensive stuff.
One of the things I thought to do was to use the Switch layers, but have the info sitting inside Note layers in it. That way you would see a reasonable name for the file (maybe just the filename) with the entire path to the file stored in the "note text" section. Don't think I can access that in the script, though. Otherwise the "layer name" would have to be the entire path, and that could get unwieldy. The other problem is that you could only trigger one sound per frame, and thats a limitation I'm looking for a way around. I'll figure it out eventually. I'll look at the exposure sheet tool and see if I do something with it.
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

No way I'm going to try to put resampling (like changing the audio's sample rate from 11K to 44.1K) in there at the moment
Resampling is relatively easy and fast if you don't want to resample from any frequency, but only the standards, where is the step is powers of two (11025, 22050, 44100).
The other problem is that you could only trigger one sound per frame, and thats a limitation I'm looking for a way around.
If your program scans the whole layer structure for wav files, you can use more than one switch layer to define the sound (like exposure sheet layers). I think these layers could be anywhere in the scene without restrictions (it is logical if the effect or voice sound is together with the character who makes it).
- - - Fazek