TV vs Monitor for gaming

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

stevepappas452

TV vs Monitor for gaming

Post by stevepappas452 »

Is there any problem in using a tv for gaming rather than a monitor? I know the response times are higher, but i think even a 10ms response would be fine for a 60hz tv, as a 60hz tv only refreshes the images every about 16ms - I am right ?
Besides this response time,, is there any other problem or issue which is caused by using a tv for gaming?
ThatUbuntuGuy

Re: TV vs Monitor for gaming

Post by ThatUbuntuGuy »

Why would you ask about gaming on TV or Monitor on a Moho forum? It's just off topic what people usually do.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I think it is allowed, this area of the forum is for miscellaneous subjects.
"and then Man created god!"
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

stevepappas452 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:39 pm Is there any problem in using a tv for gaming rather than a monitor? I know the response times are higher, but i think even a 10ms response would be fine for a 60hz tv, as a 60hz tv only refreshes the images every about 16ms - I am right ?
Besides this response time,, is there any other problem or issue which is caused by using a tv for gaming?
The response time is more important in fast paced games, specially first person view games like shooters. Its the time that takes the pixel to change its value, so higher response times means ghosting, blurier image. But this is actually not very important as its usually hard to notice, specially on a 60Hz screen.

The two more noticeable advantages of gaming monitors are the input lag and the herzt rate:

The input lag is where the majority of tv screens fail. They process the image to improve it but that takes time. Sometimes a lot of time (above 100ms) so you press a button and it takes that time to process the information plus the response time to change the pixel. Some TVs have a gaming mode with reduced input lag but its usually not as good as a gaming monitor. This is not only noticeable but it gives you a competitive disadvantage in multiplayer games.

The hertz rate is the frames per second that the screen is able to show. If your console or PC is able to output a high frame rate, the motion will feel way smoother (I can tell). Most people can feel even the difference between 60hz and 75hz, and between 144hz and 260hz, but you need a high end pc to output that many frames per second. All competitive players use between 144 and 260hz because it also gives you a competitive advantage. It can be better for your eyes as the motion is clearer.
snuffkin

Post by snuffkin »

Monitor for sure. Tv for gaming? I'm not a PlayStation fanboy
MeadowsR

Post by MeadowsR »

For sports games like FIFA and streaming, definitely TV. It's more immersive. But for all other games, monitor any day! it's smoother and more responsive.