Pivot a layer in a bone layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

uncle808us

Pivot a layer in a bone layer?

Post by uncle808us »

Hi I am using Animestudio Pro 11 on an older Mac Pro Laptop.
I cannot update the OS.
I am using:OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6 that's as high as I can go.
Without selling an organ to buy a New Mac. :roll:
Here is my question: How do I "Pivot a layer in a bone layer?"
I'm creating a DJ "Lance Trance" I would like to have him raise and lower a tone arm on his turntable.
but I cannot figure out how to pivot the Tonearm on the Tonearm Base with the movement of Lances' armbones.
Can someone help enlighten my ignorance on how this can be done. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
Greenlaw

Re: Pivot a layer in a bone layer?

Post by Greenlaw »

I would use a target bone to 'direct' the tone arm. To do this, rig the tone arm so you can raise it up and down with a target bone. Once you have that working, you can keyframe the target to use the hand bone as a parent, and it will move perfectly in sync with the arm motion. When the hand goes down, you can unparent the target bone.

Naturally, this requires that the artwork for the tone arm to exist under the same bone group. I can whip up a simple example if you like. (I might do that anyway, to make sure what I described works.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here ya go...

This above is basically what I described earlier. The target bone parents to the hand bone at frame 12 and then unparents at 39. Here's the file in Moho 12.5 and ASP 11 format if you want to look at it...

ToneArmSetup.zip
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I neglected to mention something. You asked for the base bone of the tone arm to not move. To do that, I enabled the Ignored by IK constraint for that bone.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:17 pm

Naturally, this requires that the artwork for the tone arm to exist under the same bone group.

By "under the same bone group" do you mean in the same bone Group as (Lance)? Or outside the (Lance) bone group but under that bone group?
Your Anime studio 11 file says it is from a newer version of Anime Studio I have Pro 11.2 your version is newer being 11?This is not a major issue as the file opened under 11.2.
I had the times up problem so I downloaded the suggested version from that thread http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... =5&t=33665
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 pm Oh, I neglected to mention something. You asked for the base bone of the tone arm to not move. To do that, I enabled the Ignored by IK constraint for that bone.
How do you enable Ignored by IK constraint?
I am really struggling with this. But I won't give up until I learn how to do it. As I may need this knowledge in the future.
Thanks for the time and help, thank you too Victor.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi uncle808us,
uncle808us wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 am How do you enable Ignored by IK constraint?
Select the bone (in this case, the root of the tone arm bone chain,) cick on the Bone Constraints list to open the window, and click on the Ignored By Inverse Kinematics checkbox. (Should be halfway down the window.)

I'm not sure if this option is available in ASP 11. Let me know if it's not. If you don't have this option in your version of Moho, there is a trick you can do: just parent a second bone to the root, set its Bone strength to zero, and then hide it. Basically, any bone that has two or more bones parented to it is automatically unaffected by IK.

Another way to ignore IK for a bone is to enable Independent Angle for it (which is near the top of the Bone Constraints window.)