How do I make characters move more dynamicaly

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Raaskot

How do I make characters move more dynamicaly

Post by Raaskot »

This is a mere artistic, creative question that keeps bugging me.
I would very much like to hear your own creative strategy of the matter.

How is your take on an animated sequence in Moho, when the movements appear more dynamic — and less cut out-ish?

Designing sidewise walking strides and moving limbs works excellent in Moho, but I get stuck when characters turns around and do stuff. Drawing this by hand appears more natural, straigthforeward and free, yet very lengthy.

Please see youtube video: https://youtu.be/1Zl-rY6nXRs

It is as if I’m creatively lost by the Moho armature tech and can’t work more freely, if you understand.

I’d watched legio videos with moonface headturns and incremental evenly rotated torsos but cannot apply it to what I want. The procedures appears constructed and restricted.

So what do you do and what is best practice?

- Do you draw every transition meticulously by hand tracing the art afterwards in Moho?
- Do you draw every breakdown in cell separated vectordrawings using individual bone systems for careful inbetweening?
- Do you try to use the same vector drawing and just animate the points (morphstyle).
- Do you use “smears” only?
- Other suggestions?

I’ll appreciate your views very much. If you suggest applicable tutorials I’ll be glad too.

Kind regards, Raaskot
synthsin75

Re: How do I make characters move more dynamicaly

Post by synthsin75 »

Typically morph points where I can and swap art/rig where the transition is too great. And a step in the transition may not require a rig.
DK

Post by DK »

Victor is an expert at this! Look at his early videos. A good tip is to keep your character simple to animate. Some of the best animated 360 degree turns i have seen were done by Victor on the fly using animated layer switching to hide arms and legs behind the body and simple face masking. Your rig can get really tied down using smart bones so they are best used wisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4LrtM ... X-&index=2

Cheers
D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

This is a problem which must get tackled mostly in the storyboard, not so much in the rigging.

As you've observed correctly, any rotation around Z axis is easily done in Moho. Other easy operations are scaling and transition. So use these predominantly. I bet the most part of your story can be told convincingly with just these.

I've seen many avoidable bad choices in storyboarding over the years (in my own work as well :oops: ). Here's a non-complete list of them, with the complications they cause:
- orthogonal staging (I borrow this phrase from http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2014/ ... challenge/) - no dynamic angles, no sleigh-of-hand to hide Z axis rotations.
- show the whole character where a part is enough - problems with shuffling feet, much body without action ("work to do"), overall stiffness.
- wide shots for small actions - can be done for comic effect, but is mostly a waste of screen time since no audience will even spot what's going on. Use close-ups instead.
- elaborate head turns, but no tilt, no shoulder or neck movement, no body movement - stiffness, "rigor mortis", lack of expression.
- long scenes with dialogue - no intercut between characters lacks emotion and engagement.
- complete sequence of movements where just a small part would do the same - lots of work.
- show a long moving sequence where only the result counts - better to hide the work (like writing something) and only present the result (the finished letter)
- bad editing, no editing, no camera work - boring and disengaging, body turns instead of cuts.
- no foreground or background, no composition - althiough it is possible to tell stories like an educational movie about motor parts, most stories ask for a whole world around the characters. Don't use the TV sitcom premise of a room with only 3 walls, you don't have a physical camera and an audience which need access to the scene.

Bad choices in animation:
- slow movements of everything at once - gives an underwater effect without weight or dynamics.
- no dynamics, no slow in/out - robotic.
- not fast enough - it's amazing how much of our body moves in speeds which only need 1 inbetween or less.
- neglecting to move the body first for expression - only mouth and arms moving fits a robot, not a human.
- all movements at the same pace - no dynamics, no timing.
- badly animated cycles - every mistake blows up in repetition.
- neglecting the 14 principles - if you don't know these, read!

So this is already a whole bunch of stuff to look at, and only if you run out of tricks from this list you may use FBF or 3D-like rigging. There's some more:
- remember that you're allowed to use as many different programs as you need. (I always do FBF in TVPaint, that's my companion to Moho.)
- if you need 3D, use 3D.
- if you need something outside of your abilities, hire somebody who's good in that.

So to come back to your scene in question: what's the story you want to tell? How important are the bits? Without knowing about context, I'd do some of the following:
- No need to animate in this perspective. The view from above at the table top can be done in an establishing shot with a bit of zoom in, without animation.
- No need to show his feet. Why? Nearly everybody has feet. You can trust the audience to add the details which you just indicate. Show him from his belt upwards only.
- Is he the only character in the scene? Then you can get much closer to his hands. Chopping fish is an easy action if you put his face off screen.
- Is there interaction with others? Then show them, and get a nice variety of shots showing their relationship and their reactions to each other.
- Use the props at hand. Close up of the fish, the knife, whatever. Cut this in a way that his hand just leaves the frame and the knife still wiggles a bit.
- Put the camera just a bit under the table, so you don't have to show and animate what's on the table. Instead you get a full view on his face with all emotions.
- Where's the rest of the scenery? A good overall composition doesn't need much animation anyway because it already tells the story.

And since I'm in the mood right now, here are some storyboard suggestions:
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Raaskot

Post by Raaskot »

Hello slowtiger, DK and synthsin75

Thank you so much! I put up my initial inquiry since I’m on an overdue project (luckily the client haven’t called yet;)) and are a bit frustrated. Yet drawing on my experience I’ve learned that addressing issues right in the middle of the tempest is the most valuable and rewarding moment to gain new professional insights;)

I’m amazed and delighted by the storybord and the comments (@slowtiger, I’m thankful for your good mood:)) It points out to use sequences/shots economicaly. The scene isn’t that important in context, but reading your notes I now realize (much for my own notion) that I spend all too much work on rendering a detail (fish grabbing and cutting) instead of a simple stillshot with camera movement! Actually the proceeding part (fetching a wastebasket) is more important and perhaps less consuming. I’ll use your input in the remaining scenes.

@DK: Thanks for the link to Victor Paredes workshops. I'll sit down and watch. I once got an online advice from him about whether to use “ones or two’s” in Moho. A matter I still need to try out for myself. Very helpful person and very helpful link you provide.

@synthsin75: Swapping art and rigs is probably what I’ll go for in the actual scene. It will make sense with the work already applied.

Kind regards and thanks again from Raaskot
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Glad to be able to help!

Since we're at fish, one of my favourite shorts is this one, "Herr Bohm und der Hering":
https://youtu.be/2g8I2CgdHt8?t=33

I always liked the simplicity and elegance of it. Minimalism of design allows for quite elaborate animation. There's not much going on, but anything important gets animated.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
DK

Post by DK »

Hey Raaskot.
I was going to mention 2's but i did not know if that would make sense to you in my brief reply...I use them all the time and it makes a huge difference.

Cheers
D.K
formxshape

Post by formxshape »

I'd try to find the key poses, and get it down to 3 or so, then rig and animate those, but to go between them, either switch between poses at the 'fastest' point in the movement. Or draw an in-between frame and keyframe vector points so you get a nice inbetween from pose to pose.