Moho 13.5 .exe categorized as untrusted by Edge.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Lychee

Moho 13.5 .exe categorized as untrusted by Edge.

Post by Lychee »

I just bought myself the Moho 13.5 update, the problem is when downloading Edge is reporting the .exe file to me as untrusted, like it is malware.
Of course I know it's not, and I think there is a certificate problem in the file.
Edit:
Windows SmartScreen also tells me that the executable is not recognized, and that it can put my computer in danger.
synthsin75

Re: Moho 13.5 .exe categorized as untrusted by Edge.

Post by synthsin75 »

Microsoft apparently takes a while for a new program certificate to gain a good reputation. IOW, I assume it waits until enough people have told it the program is safe.

Far as I can tell, basically just extorting developers for more money.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think Chrome does something like this too, and not just with 'official' programs.

For example, with the MQC tool I posted last year, downloading the .zip popped up a 'scary' sounding warning about the file. At the time, I thought it was because I included an .exe in the file. Recently, I updated the MQC .zip file for Moho 13.5, and I noticed that the Chrome warning no longer pops up when downloading the file. I guess by now enough people have downloaded it to satisfy Google regarding its safeness.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun May 02, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:56 pm Far as I can tell, basically just extorting developers for more money.
As far I am aware (no expert) - Microsoft make zero dollars from the EV Code Signing certificates. The cert requirements are unliked in some quarters, but no doubt here to stay.

LM do have to look at this from a lost sales/evaluation perspective v/s the cost (and effort) of using EV certs - which can be bought for as low as $219 per year from Comodo resellers like: https://codesigncert.com/comodo-ev-code-signing. And of course they may already be doing this.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam