Android version?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jhbmw007

Android version?

Post by jhbmw007 »

Anything in the works for an Android/iPad version of Moho? They have clip studio on Android now, that used to be Magna studio back in the anime studio days. That's the last time I've used this software but am interested in getting back to doing some animation again!
Greenlaw

Re: Android version?

Post by Greenlaw »

That would be interesting. I use Clip Studio on both my laptop and on iPad, and they're virtually identical in features and performance. (Getting my personal hand-writing font into iPad was a bit of a pain though.)

I doubt this will happen anytime soon for Moho though. Lost Marble will be busy working on the next Moho (Moho 14?) for Windows and Mac in the foreseeable future, and I don't think they have the resources or time to develop for third and fourth platform. It would be cool to see this in the future though. 8)

That said, now is a great time to get back into Moho. Version 12.5 was awesome! It was the most stable and powerful version ever, and I did so much television work with it. The new 13.5.2 came out just this week and it builds upon 12.5, adding several new ground-breaking features, like Vitruvian Bones and the SmartWarp automesher! There are a lot of UI tweaks and under-the-hood improvements too.
chucky

Post by chucky »

I doubt if any android or iOS hardware would be sufficiently powerful enough for a satisfactory experience with Moho, unless features were significantly limited.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's probably true. I am surprised by how smoothly Clip Studio Paint runs on iPad, but of course it's not doing nearly the heavy-lifting a dedicated animation program like Moho does.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

TVPaint still maintains an Android version, and users with adequate hardware don't report any performance issues.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yep, we're talking about Moho, right?
Not Clip or TV paint . :mrgreen:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I should have been specific: I am surprised by how smoothly Clip Studio Paint runs on iPad, but of course it's not doing nearly the heavy-lifting a dedicated puppet animation program like Moho does.

I don't use TVPaint on Android but I do use in Windows. It's a very powerful FBF program but it's not a puppet animation program doing the constant level of CPU hammering as Moho either. :)

That said, I think a modern iPad probably could handle it...but Lost Marble would probably have to charge a lot for it or sell it as subscription-ware, like Clip Studio for iPad, to make it worth their while.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Sounds like a whole new consumer base and business model to me.
Something for larger corporations to not neglect the base.
A light version might be successful sure, but at what cost to Moho pro?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

TBH, I'd rather see development remain focused on making the Windows and Mac versions more powerful and suitable for professional production use. Right now Moho is a very powerful puppet animation program, and my coworkers and I agree that for this purpose, Moho is more capable and easier to use than other animation programs we have at our disposal. However, some of Moho's features, notably the freehand drawing, need to be improved to make it more competitive. I think developing for Android and iOS would be a major distraction for the devs.

We've been using Moho where I work for several years now for TV production, and I'd love to see it gain acceptance at other big studios. Improving the freehand drawing tools is probably the clearest path toward this. Right now, IMO, this is way more important than bringing Moho to mobile OS devices.
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

That's true it would probably need to be a trimmed down version to run decently on a tablet. I've always found Moho easiest to work with using a tablet PC and I'm in the market for a new one. Might just get a Kamvas as I have a pretty decent PC for gaming that I could hook it up to.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, a good tablet computer is awesome for animation work. I used to use a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet computer, and I did so much comics and animation on that device, including with Moho. Unfortunately, after a few years, the battery stopped holding its charge and I never bothered to get it fixed. I'd like to try a Surface Pro tablet PC next but I'm not in the market for a new computer right now.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Dennis ( I mean GreenLaw) is right. :D
Buy a tablet pc or convertible.
They were around first, had touch and pen when apple said they'd never make a pen, use a proper operating system and are more powerful that ipads or android tablets.
You don't need the devs to make the effort, just get the right tools.
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

The latest iPad Pros have M1s (not even pro or max) – I don't think it's the lack of computing power that would be an issue.

The performance of a "lowly" M1 iPad Pro scores about the same as the Razer Blade 15…

The issue is that you'd have to rework the entire user interface for touch – not a small feat. Some have been able to do that, like Affinity with their iPad version that has feature parity with the desktop version, yet a touch optimized interface. However, since the UI and workflow is quite different from the desktop version, I could never really get warm with it. If you love how Moho works on your PC/Mac, you'd probably not love how it would work on a touch device.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

Daxel

Post by Daxel »

jhbmw007 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 pm Might just get a Kamvas as I have a pretty decent PC for gaming that I could hook it up to.
Exactly what I did and very glad I did it. Latest Huion models with the latest pen (the PW517) is a big step in performance and it has nothing to envy to Wacom Cintiq in my experience.

The sad part is that Moho right now has a lot of problems with windows ink and since v13 it relies on it for the pressure sensitivity. I'm optimistic that they will fix it soon because they are doing a fantastic job so far and tablet support is essential nowadays, but we'll have to wait.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

arglborps wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:34 am The issue is that you'd have to rework the entire user interface for touch – not a small feat...If you love how Moho works on your PC/Mac, you'd probably not love how it would work on a touch device.
Actually Moho works well with multi-touch. That's how I used Moho back when I had my Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 tablet PC. You just need to enable Navigation Only or multi-touch will mess up your drawing. The same follows with Clip Studio Paint...I used multi-touch with CSP like crazy on my Companion, and when I started using CSP with my iPad, the same touch techniques I used for Windows applied to the iOS version.

That said, there are touch techniques that are quite unique to iPad (as seen/developed for Procreate,) that could translate well for programs like Moho. But, yeah, that would be a major development effort, and I'd rather see that energy applied in making the Windows/Mac version better.